Unknown issue with my Ultimaker 2

devilflash

Posted · Unknown issue with my Ultimaker 2

Hi everyone,

I got a weird issue with my Ultimaker 2. It stops randomly during a print on a random printing time or height as you can see in the two images. It looks like the motor want to move but can't so the nozzle stay on the same spot burning the PLA, and I can't do anything with the screen, the firmware (I use the Tinker-MarlinUltimaker2-16.12.1 firmware) don't react, I can't use the wheel... After a moment, the print stop, the nozzle comes back to its origin point...

The modifications I made on my Ultimaker 2:

- heating cartridge 35W

- Olsson Matchless V3 block with matchless nozzle 0.40mm

- I changed the Y-axis stepping motor with a Pololu NEMA 17 Bipolar 200 Steps/Rev 42×38mm 2.8V 1.7 A/Phase (old one was getting tired)

- Bondtech extruder QR2 (I followed instructions, reduced the current in firmware, motor doesn't get hot, just mildly warm)

- Bowden tube in PTFE from Bondtech

- PTFE teflon from 3Dsolex

- Steel coupler V2 from 3Dsolex

The instructions for the bondtech suggest to use Firmware 16.08 for tinkergnome but I assumed it was just because the instructions came out before firmware 16.12.1 as there is an Ultimaker 2 firmware.

When I turn my printer off, I can freely move the nozzle in X and Y directions, it's quite smooth and nothing block. Same for the bed that I can move up or down.

So you can see on the two pictures that the problem doesn't occur on the same place. Don't know where it comes from. I tried Cura 2.3 and 15.04, same issue.

ty4He1z.jpg

tLFEFSI.jpg

Anyone will be welcome to point me to any solution or lead. Thank you!

Hey @devilflash, I had a similar issue with an older Tinkergnome firmware and I saw somebody else reporting something that could be related. Basically the print head goes into super slow-motion mode but still moves. If this happens again, try to determine if that's the case. Would help tinkergnome debug the problem.

My printer seemed to have problems with the ribbon cables connecting the display to the board. I just reversed them - took them out, rotated them by 180° and connected them again - of course respecting the cable's polarity.

I didn't have any freezes since then. However, at the same time I started using an experimental tinker firmware which uses the old sd card loading code (which I think is part of v16.12.1 anyway now).

When the problem occurs, I remarked that the print head makes some noise as if it want to move and can't (but it's strange as I tried with the printer off and there's nothing blocking the movement) or maybe move in really really slow motion, can't be 100% affirmative.

So yeah, it's maybe the same problem. The display is not responsive when the problem occurs.

Posted (edited) · Unknown issue with my Ultimaker 2

Funnily enough, I had a very similar issue yesterday too. I'm also using Tinker-MarlinUltimaker2-16.12.1 and have the 3d Solex upgrades you do too, but not the Bondtech feeder.

My printer's been happily printing all week, some long jobs, some small. Then, on a print yesterday, decided to stop about 1.6mm into a print for no apparent reason - exactly the same as you, print head stopped at a single position, filament oozing out into a blob where the print head was. The only difference was that my display simply said: -

"ERROR - STOPPED" followed by "Go to ultimaker.com/support".

I power cycled the printer, restarted the print from scratch, and it ran perfectly for the 4hr print time. I've had the same thing happen just after Christmas, but never before - both errors occurred on the latest Tinker firmware (I upgraded as I was getting the printing outside of area errors on the previous Tinker firmware).

Edited by Guest

"ERROR - STOPPED" followed by "Go to ultimaker.com/support".

I noticed that I got this error too. Don't know if it's everytime because I don't keep my printer near me.

I printed two projects of 18 hours without problems then the problem appeared so I'm in the exact same situation.

Before tinkergnome put in his 2 cents, it could be worth investigating if it is indeed the firmware by installing default firmware and see if the 'freeze' stays away.

@tinkergnome, do you think this could have to do with the firmware?

mmmhh, let's say: there is a certain probability, but the reason is unknown yet. As Nicolinux said, it seems that re-arranging the ribbon cables helped in particular cases, but this is perhaps just a coincidence...

@devilflash: as far as I know, Bondtech offers a (modified) standard firmware as well. You should try if this one works better for you.

Before tinkergnome put in his 2 cents, it could be worth investigating if it is indeed the firmware by installing default firmware and see if the 'freeze' stays away.

Can't because Bondtech extruder needs to modify the steps and current of the feeder motor. It's impossible to do with default firmware, I think.

Tinkergnome: I'll try to contact Bondtech to see if they have something in stock for the firmware.

Bondtech has a gcode that you can load, like a print, and that changes the esteps of the machine, no need for tinkergnome to do a simple estep change. Bondtech has itnon their web if I remember well.

The gcode and custom ultimaker2 firmware aren't available anymore on bondtech website.

The only solution still available is to install 16.08.2 Tinkergnome Firmware

Hi @devilflash, sorry for my late reply,  the g-code to change the e-steps is very simple.

It is just two lines of code like this:

M92 E492.45

M500

You can download the file here: Link

Since the rotation direction of the extruder motor is different between UM2 and UM2+ due to the gearing the extruder will turn in the wrong direction if using UM2+ Original firmware, to correct this you can either chang the direction in the firmware and re-compile it or just swapping position of two cables in the connector of the cable. You can see how in our FAQ here: www.bondtech.se/faq

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

@bondtech

Thanks for the answer. I haven't tinker with eeprom and gcode to modify firmware so I have a few question.

I already installed the tinkergnome firmware and changed current and e-steps. If I install a new firmware do I still have to make the change?

To make the change from a gcode I assume I just have to "print" the gcode so it's loaded in the firmware. Should I only do this once or should I "print" the gcode before every print I make? What about the current sent to the motor? Is there a gcode for that too? I made the change in Tinkergnome but I'd rather not fry the motor by sending it 1300mA.

So what I should do to keep original firmware:

- install default firmware

- "print" gcode

- swap two cables to invert motor rotation

- anything else?

Thank you for the leads

If you replace the firmware you will have to run the g-code to set the e-step value, the command M500 saves the new E-step value into the controller so it is not necessary to run the G-code program more than once. You should also make a restore to factory defaults after you have run the g-code in order to make sure it uses the new e-step value. In order to set the current there is also a G-code for this. You can use M907 E1000 to set the current for the extrudermotor to 1000mA. But I can´t remember if this is accesible also through the lcd-menu with original UM firmware.

If you are using Simplify3D as a slicer you shall also check the starting script section as the default UM-profile in S3D sets M907 E1400 and with this setting is too much for the motor since it is rated to max 1200 mA but to keep the motor cooler we recommend using 1000 mA.

• Like 1

So, to make it short:

Make a gcode file with:

M907 E1000

M92 E492.45

M500

Then:

- swap extruder cables

- install default firmware

- install gcode

- restore to factory default

- print as usual

Edited by Guest

The G-code for E-step will stay as a default setting and will be used but I am a bit unsure if the M907 E1000 current setting must be done at each new program or not, maybe @Neotko have an answer to this?

The G-code for E-step will stay as a default setting and will be used but I am a bit unsure if the M907 E1000 current setting must be done at each new program or not, maybe @Neotko have an answer to this?

If you do a M500 after the change of current (afaik) it should remain saved on the memory.

So

M907 E1000

M500

Remember that each line must have a 'return' key after, or the command won't be executed.

If you have doubts about if the settings are saved. Use Printrun/Pronterface and connect by usb to the printer. As soon you connect you have a list of 'echo' of all the settings saved on the firmware

Printrun is a free soft for mac/win http://www.pronterface.com/

• Thanks 1

Oh sorry i'm a bit slow today. Indeed after using M500 (saving settings) there's no need to send them again. Unless you do a factory reset on the machine.