Multimaker 3 printing very thin 1st layer. Problem in one part of the initial print not printing.

CharlieDent

Posted · Multimaker 3 printing very thin 1st layer. Problem in one part of the initial print not printing.

Hi, I am a new user to 3D printing but I have had a reasonable amount of experience with CAD drawing. I am using Sketchup 7 Pro at the moment.

I created my own designed 2 sided thin poker chip with a round recess in the middle of it so I can place a round magnet in the centre. I can then attach it to a metal object with a recessed magnet inside the chip.

My problem is, that the first print layer prints very well in CURA 2.4, considering I set it to 0.02mm Layer Height and Top/Bottom Thickness 0.02. But the recessed hole does not print even though the recessed hole doesn't start until the print level is at 0.24mm from the base.

I am printing with 2 colours Black PLA and RED PLA with a 0.4 Print head.

The rest of the model prints fine even with the started 0.02 thin layer.Files for the project - Object - Cura 2.4 file and Sketchup 7 Pro files Also 4 JPG files.

Please Help if you can. :-)

Posted · Multimaker 3 printing very thin 1st layer. Problem in one part of the initial print not printing.

Sketchup has issues in creating closed surfaces / bodies. Google for that issue and you will find that Sketchup is not the best choice for 3D printing. I used it until I had a 3D printer as well. With the 3d printer I gave up after the first two objects that had issues all the time.

Many thanks.

OK I might give another product a go.  Which is the best?

How about Revit as I have had some experience with that application?

I think that there is no "best" product, just different sophistication levels and use cases covered. From organic modelling (arts stuff) to exact CAD drawings to beginners quick drawing tools with strong limitations.

For 3D printing there is lots of tools that try to simplify 3D modelling, but likely they are restricted by their simplicity - not tried them. But maybe ok for the start, depending on what you want to do.

You need to be prepared to try 2-3 products. I have used ViaCAD and liked it, now I am trying Fusion 360 and like it better :-)

Other say FreeCAD is good etc.

You should google for an hour, look at a few tutorial videos for the popular CAD programs and try something that you like.

I think that there is no "best" product, just different sophistication levels and use cases covered. From organic modelling (arts stuff) to exact CAD drawings to beginners quick drawing tools with strong limitations.

For 3D printing there is lots of tools that try to simplify 3D modelling, but likely they are restricted by their simplicity - not tried them. But maybe ok for the start, depending on what you want to do.

You need to be prepared to try 2-3 products. I have used ViaCAD and liked it, now I am  trying Fusion 360 and like it better :-)

Other say FreeCAD is good etc.

You should google for an hour, look at a few tutorial videos for the popular CAD programs and try something that you like.

Thanks, I will take a look.  :-)

I left sketchup but I recommend you stick with it a little longer. Here is 3d printing using sketchup guide - really well written with photos:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

However in your particular case I think the problem is the way your walls are facing on that inner circle - you could reverse the edges as described in the above guide or MUCH EASIER - just search through settings and uncheck all the "fix horrible A" and all the other fix horrible. "A" sees that sketchup is telling it that the edges around the batter holder are internal walls instead of external (gray versus white in sketchup - again more in above link) and "fix horrible" decides to fill that all in.

By the way you can make these just fine with UM2:

DSC_2035.thumb.JPG.5511b094b4af5ed6c0e4ef8e970099bc.JPG

dcDSC_9083.thumb.JPG.bab9c1b7d42e1611d3cd33d2e675ef66.JPG

DSC_2035.thumb.JPG.5511b094b4af5ed6c0e4ef8e970099bc.JPG

dcDSC_9083.thumb.JPG.bab9c1b7d42e1611d3cd33d2e675ef66.JPG

I left sketchup but I recommend you stick with it a little longer.  Here is 3d printing using sketchup guide - really well written with photos:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

However in your particular case I think the problem is the way your walls are facing on that inner circle - you could reverse the edges as described in the above guide or MUCH EASIER - just search through settings and uncheck all the "fix horrible A" and all the other fix horrible.  "A" sees that sketchup is telling it that the edges around the batter holder are internal walls instead of external (gray versus white in sketchup - again more in above link) and "fix horrible" decides to fill that all in.

Thanks for your help. I have learn a lot from this link.  As it was, there was very little wrong with the 3D model other than the centre layer was too thin and this is what was causing the printer interpretation error. But I did understand clearer about inside and outside faces on a 3D model from your link. So once again thanks.  :-)