Cura 2.4 function "multiply model"

gilbert

Posted · Cura 2.4 function "multiply model"

Hello, I'm new to this forum, haven't found the answer so I'm asking a question.

I've just downloaded Cura 2.4 to replace a very old version.

I've used the "multiply model" function but it doesn't seem to work properly: the objects are all put in a row and not on the whole bed, and it seems impossible to move them to a more appropriate location with the mouse.

Can someone help?

Thanks and regards

It should definitely be possible to move the objects to a better location.

Click on an object, then drag it around. You may have to (re-)select the Move tool.

I understand, but it is impossible to move an object with any precision as Cura keeps on slicing when I move the mouse!

Is it possible to move several objects all together?

I have ten times the same object. They should fit nicely in two rows of five on the bed, but the automatic function puts them in only one row with two items completely out of the bed! Why does this function no longer work as it used to?

• Like 1

Hi gilbert, I agree cura doesn't really place objects very well (coming from slic3r background.) I don't know exactly the functionality you saw before, i can't remember if cura would just intelligently place objects after a row fills up into a new row. It seems if it did this after each duplication to check if it needed to change rows, it might be confused when you're making 9 duplicates in a row (that is the implementation of "multiply objects" could be barebones.)

But two suggestions for your immediate problem:

(1) Try multiplying 5 units, then 5 units again. My point here is ask for the amount that one row can fit, then ask for more and see if it behaves more like you expect.

(2) Try multiplying 5 units, select all units, and "merge stls" or "group stls as one object" whatever it is called [i don't recall and cura boots slowly for me]. Now duplicate that object of 5 and see if it behaves how you want.

Hope some of those suggestions work for you. Bare in mind also that if you disable "ensure objects are kept apart" in the cura settings, you'll totally change this behavior (they'll all get lumped on top of each other)

I understand, but it is impossible to move an object with any precision as Cura keeps on slicing when I move the mouse!

There's a neat plugin that lets you pause the auto slicing:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/PauseBackendPlugin

Is it possible to move several objects all together?

Sure, you can shift-click to select multiple objects.

I have ten times the same object. (...) Why does this function no longer work as it used to?

Because Cura was rewritten from scratch, and this use-case was not well-considered.

When the "move" tool is activated and an object is selected, I still have sometimes problems to move it with the mouse: it just doesn't move at all, even when the slicing is over. I think it happens more often when there are numerous objects on the bed.

I have found this variable but you seem to need to move it by grabbing the coloured direction indicators rather than the model itself

When there are numerous objects on the bed it definitively doesn't work well, and the fact that Cura just keeps on slicing is just exasperating.

It's really a shame because I have a lot of small objects to print, and it's practically impossible to get more than ten at a time. When I ask for more some are placed out of the bed and I just can't get then back with the mouse. And the function "reset all model positions" doesn't solve anything, it keeps on making the same mistake.

I'm really disappointed.

Have you tried Version 2.5 release? Seems to me to be better at multiply.

Regards

Ian

And also be sure to try shift-click to select multiple items, then click the move tool and drag the selection around with the colored arrows to move them in the x and y directions, as was mentioned previously. That has worked for me when I have encountered the same issue.