New Cura 2.xx Version is so much worse than the previous 15.xx

ggalisky1

Posted · New Cura 2.xx Version is so much worse than the previous 15.xx

I have owned my UM2 for almost 3 years now, and I have been using cura version 15.xxx

I recently tried the 2.xxx version and the performance is pretty horrible. Mulitple parts take forever to load, and then after loading them you can barley move them around. You can only rotate or move parts but you cant do them both like in 15.xxx. The multiply tool is gone. The intial layer width is gone. Things are so increibly laggy. I have a computer the a gtx 1080, and i5 and 16gb of ram, so my hard ware isnt the issue.

Overall I am very disapointed with the new version of Cura.

Posted (edited) · New Cura 2.xx Version is so much worse than the previous 15.xx

Have you installed the latest drivers for the video card?

The Multiply tool is still present: if you select a model, you can right-click to get a context menu and choose the option "Multiply model..."

For the initial layer width being gone, maybe @nallath can help you with that.

Edited by Guest
    Removed double installed verb from first sentence

I'm really sorry to say that, but I am also very disappointed. The interface is just exasperating to use. The last time I had this kind of feeling is when I tried to use Windows 8... Oops, I apologize, insults are prohibited...

At first i didn't like the UI either, but now i'm used to it, and i must say i like it very much.

The missing setting, you can find when display the other settings (i think this one is under quality) just click on the small gear icon next to quality to select the settings you want to see or not.

2.4 Cura is very nice and has many features that Cura 15 doesn't have. It's not perfect of course but it's not unusable, and of course if you are happy with cura 15 then just continue using it :)

One big enhancement for cura 2.4 is support structures, they are great !

Performance is faster in some cases and slower in others. Overall we've assumed that the user has a stronger video card than 4 years ago, but there's also some performance hit in the settings that is the result of having more than 5 times as many settings and many dependencies between them.

Rotating and moving parts works exactly the same right now as in 15.04. You should be able to rotate your objects and then move them.

Initial layer width never existed. Initial layer line width is indeed gone. It was removed when we implemented different line widths for different features (such as support) because that clashes with a global setting such as the original initial layer line width. Initial Layer Height works similarly to the old feature though.

Hmn, I have an i5, 8mb ram and ordinary video card and I find perfromance to be fine - I do though generally work with a single model rather than multiple copies. I do agreee that multiple copies is not as good as 15.n.

If you have not done so I would recommend that you go to settings visibility and set evertyhing ON and then go through each setting. You will find some strange defaults that Cura has which you will not be aware of unless you turn everything on. You can afterwards of course turn a lot of the settings off after you have changed the defaults where necessary.

I agree... What happened ?? I mean... Ok there is some improvements indeed in newer versions... Like supports which i like really much. But why delete console command ? Why delete the way i could extrude some filament by hitting one button ? It doesn't make sense. You get a nice monitoring panel and just make it more useless ? what's the point ? I have to run older version of cura simply when i want to see what my printer told me... And now I'm using 3.3.1... Because in 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 prints just doesn't want to start at all ! ( print with usb ). AND in 3.3.1, I can't get my fan running... and i tested many settings. Please, do something about this, because cura could really be a good slicer, without all these kind of problems. Another little thing is, why moving the view became horrible ?? Right click especially... all the time, it open the menu when i want to rotate around my models... It's broken. I apologize for the criticism, i know that creating a program of this type should not be easy far from it, but i sincerely hope that my experience can help you to improve things! ?

Best regards.

@Raziorx You describe several problems at once and some of them might be related to your unique setup. I think the best way to ask for help would be to create a new post per problem and describe it the best you can.

2 minutes ago, Nicolinux said:

@Raziorx You describe several problems at once and some of them might be related to your unique setup. I think the best way to ask for help would be to create a new post per problem and describe it the best you can.

Thanks for the advice. I'm checking others posts looking forward if these problems already get answered. I'll do that if i don't find. Thanks for the fast answer, anyway it was just to point out what drives me crazy when i use cura, rather to help you, to improve the program for all than to help me. ?

Why are you wasting time trying to use obsolete v2 of Cura, when the rest of the world is on v3.1?

6 hours ago, eldrick said:

Why are you wasting time trying to use obsolete v2 of Cura, when the rest of the world is on v3.1?

I'm not using v2, as i said i'm on 3.1.1 ...