Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ben_swo

Print finished immediately after starting a print!

Hi Guys, I've just got an Ultimaker 3 Extended and been playing with a few prints that worked OK using PLA and PVA supports. I correctly removed the printcore 2 and have left it empty. Currently running Ultimaker Red PLA in position 1.

Now when I try to print, the head moves and the heating starts then the screen immediately says Print finished, Cooling Printcores. I have tried from USB and network. When the number 2 slot is empty should the temperature say 700C?

This is driving me nuts. Cheers, Ben

If you leave slot 2 empty right now some code gives an exception and aborts the print without giving a message.

Potentially this could be worked around by turning off active leveling. However, our hardware team cannot guarantee that the cooling of the printcore is proper with only 1 inserted. So I would advice against this.

I don't know the ultimaker app but Often models have holes or or walls too thin to print such that when you slice you get nothing to print. Therefore I recommend always looking at the model in layer view to make sure it will print the entire model and to make sure it will print anything at all.

Does the app agree that the print is 0 minutes long? Does the app agree that it will use 0 filament? If so then it's the model. Try the full version of Cura and look at it in slice view.

I have this exact problem. Latest Cura (2.5) and latest firmware (3.6.3.20170406). The slicer says that my print will take 13h 35min but when I print to the printer over the network, the printer Active Print printing time says 00:00:00 and the printer says the print is done. I tried to un-install and reinstall Cura 2.5 but it makes no difference. I also switched to recommended settings and it made no difference. Finally, I went back to Cura 2.4 and it is printing fine.

This is extremely common. Please look at it in xray mode to see if there is any red. Also look at it in layer view to see if it will print anything. Probably not. The two most common problems are:

1) part is not manifold (part is not a solid). If this is true xray view will show red spots.

2) walls are too think. cura will not slice a wall thinner than the "line width" parameter.

This is extremely common.  Please look at it in xray mode to see if there is any red.  Also look at it in layer view to see if it will print anything.  Probably not.  The two most common problems are:

1) part is not manifold (part is not a solid).  If this is true xray view will show red spots.

2) walls are too think.  cura will not slice a wall thinner than the "line width" parameter.

I suppose what I don't understand is why Cura 2.4 prints the model just fine...? And BTW - I "x-rayed" the model, no red spots. Plus I saved to a file and it generated gcode.

Edited by Guest

Having it save and generate gcode doesn't mean much. It might just be a few lines of code. There are MANY reasons why it might not print part or all of your model. It would help to see a photo of the model in layer view and in normal view. Check your "line width" setting to make sure it's not something crazy like 10mm (it should be about the size of your nozzle - typically .4mm).

I guess a screen shot of your settings might help as well.

I'm confused thought what slicer you are using. You said it works in 2.4 but not the app? Did I get that correct? Again I've never used the app so if it works perfectly in all versions of cura except the app I guess I should shut up.

Hi, thanks for the leads. I will check them out and post the screen shots you suggest. What I said -- perhaps not clearly -- is that the model prints perfectly in Cura 2.4 but not in Cura 2.5 with everything set to default in each (clean installs).

Well there's not much different between cura 2.4 and 2.5. However there are some bugs related to "clean installs". When you uninstall cura 2.4 it still leaves junk in the appdata folder. I recommend exiting cura 2.5, then deleting everything in the app data cura folder (something like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\cura) and then restarting cura 2.5 (no need to reinstall).