Print finished immediately after starting a print!

ben_swo

Posted · Print finished immediately after starting a print!

Hi Guys, I've just got an Ultimaker 3 Extended and been playing with a few prints that worked OK using PLA and PVA supports. I correctly removed the printcore 2 and have left it empty. Currently running Ultimaker Red PLA in position 1.

Now when I try to print, the head moves and the heating starts then the screen immediately says Print finished, Cooling Printcores. I have tried from USB and network. When the number 2 slot is empty should the temperature say 700C?

This is driving me nuts. Cheers, Ben

Worth a shot - Can you check to see if you have a name for the model/job in Cura? In the bottom right hand corner of the model window with the pencil by it? I've seen this behavior and I didn't have a name in the model. Once I added a name, it cleared the situation.

• Like 1

If you leave slot 2 empty right now some code gives an exception and aborts the print without giving a message.

Potentially this could be worked around by turning off active leveling. However, our hardware team cannot guarantee that the cooling of the printcore is proper with only 1 inserted. So I would advice against this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I just fired up my Ultimaker 3 today and did a test print using the Ultimaker Robot which came out good. On my second attempt to print something I am gettting the same issue as this poster. Print says finished and doesn't start. I'm using the Ultimaker App to print from.

Please help..

I don't know the ultimaker app but Often models have holes or or walls too thin to print such that when you slice you get nothing to print. Therefore I recommend always looking at the model in layer view to make sure it will print the entire model and to make sure it will print anything at all.

Does the app agree that the print is 0 minutes long? Does the app agree that it will use 0 filament? If so then it's the model. Try the full version of Cura and look at it in slice view.

I have this exact problem. Latest Cura (2.5) and latest firmware (3.6.3.20170406). The slicer says that my print will take 13h 35min but when I print to the printer over the network, the printer Active Print printing time says 00:00:00 and the printer says the print is done. I tried to un-install and reinstall Cura 2.5 but it makes no difference. I also switched to recommended settings and it made no difference. Finally, I went back to Cura 2.4 and it is printing fine.

This is extremely common. Please look at it in xray mode to see if there is any red. Also look at it in layer view to see if it will print anything. Probably not. The two most common problems are:

1) part is not manifold (part is not a solid). If this is true xray view will show red spots.

2) walls are too think. cura will not slice a wall thinner than the "line width" parameter.

Posted (edited) · Print finished immediately after starting a print!

Another thing to check is if there is a job name in the lower right corner, next to the pencil mark. If there is no jobname, printing over the network will fail.

Update: Just read the thread again, and it turns out @ffco already suggested this

Edited by Guest

This is extremely common.  Please look at it in xray mode to see if there is any red.  Also look at it in layer view to see if it will print anything.  Probably not.  The two most common problems are:

1) part is not manifold (part is not a solid).  If this is true xray view will show red spots.

2) walls are too think.  cura will not slice a wall thinner than the "line width" parameter.

I suppose what I don't understand is why Cura 2.4 prints the model just fine...? And BTW - I "x-rayed" the model, no red spots. Plus I saved to a file and it generated gcode.

Edited by Guest

Having it save and generate gcode doesn't mean much. It might just be a few lines of code. There are MANY reasons why it might not print part or all of your model. It would help to see a photo of the model in layer view and in normal view. Check your "line width" setting to make sure it's not something crazy like 10mm (it should be about the size of your nozzle - typically .4mm).

I guess a screen shot of your settings might help as well.

I'm confused thought what slicer you are using. You said it works in 2.4 but not the app? Did I get that correct? Again I've never used the app so if it works perfectly in all versions of cura except the app I guess I should shut up.

Hi, thanks for the leads. I will check them out and post the screen shots you suggest. What I said -- perhaps not clearly -- is that the model prints perfectly in Cura 2.4 but not in Cura 2.5 with everything set to default in each (clean installs).

Hi, thanks for the leads. I will check them out and post the screen shots you suggest. What I said -- perhaps not clearly -- is that the model prints perfectly in Cura 2.4 but not in Cura 2.5 with everything set to default in each (clean installs).

Well there's not much different between cura 2.4 and 2.5. However there are some bugs related to "clean installs". When you uninstall cura 2.4 it still leaves junk in the appdata folder. I recommend exiting cura 2.5, then deleting everything in the app data cura folder (something like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\cura) and then restarting cura 2.5 (no need to reinstall).

What ever Cura 2.5 broke was automagically fixed in Cura 2.6 beta. Model printed fine in 2.4 then wouldn't print in 2.5 and now prints in 2.6. No changes to the model and none to Cura at any point in the process. I am happy again.

Were there any special characters in your file name? like German umlaut? That goes wrong somewhere iin embedded. Will be solved.

Edited by Guest

No umlauts that I know of (I don't speak German). I am using Fusion360 and use the Make command. What it might do to the file name I don't know.

I am having this exact issue in Cura 4.0.

I believe the issue is due to the printer itself - we used another Ultimaker 3 with the exact same file and it actually printed - I am not sure why. Just figured I'd share the info since this is the thread that came up when I ran a Google search for this issue.

Hi I have a brand new expensive UM3 at my work,

• some times my print job is finished immediately. second try then it prints fine.
    • My filament is often stuck in the tube. It retracts after printing and my filament is then expended due to heat that it cannot move again. My nozzle is ok.
    • often my filament is not spooled off nicely, then I don't have any extruding anymore

previous UM2 and 2+ we did not had any errors in hard and software. It is very dissapointing

Privately I use a 600 euro Velleman Vertex without modification and it out performs UM easily on all expects.

With kind regards,

Edited by JeroenN