Detected move outside of normal printer volume

le_avion

Posted (edited) · Detected move outside of normal printer volume

UM3e: In the middle of a print, after 24 hours of printing I suddenly noticed that the printer stopped printing with the print head touching the top of the printed object, about 44mm from the plate and in the middle. The display shows the message "Detected move outside of normal printer volume", the knob is pulsing, and the two core lights are pulsing red. Rotating the knob or pressing it does nothing.

Any ideas what the error means, why did I get it, and what to do about it?

Is all I can do now if power cycle the printer and toss out my print? Is there a way to tell Cura to start printing at layer 441? Or should I edit the gcode file manually and remove everything before this layer? If I do that I want to make sure that the auto leveling will not run since I already have the object on the build plate. Can I do that?

Firmware is 3.6.2.20170322.

Cura is 2.5.0-BETA

I tried to link a photo from Dropbox but it shows as a broken image so you cannot see that it is not a large object that is too large for the print area. The object is about 60mm wide, 80mm deep, and 44mm high.

In case someone from Ultimaker needs them, I dumped the logs and saved them. I also saved the Cura output. BTW, is there anything in the logs to tell me which layer or z height was the last to print?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Detected move outside of normal printer volume

I really doubt you can do anything atm since the starting sequence is unavoidable with the um3 griffinflavor (and is the only flavor um3 likes).

Maybe @daid & @nallath can check that gcode to see what happened?

Since there's nothing else to do, try to post what settings/slicer/etc you used.

I got this for the first time yesterday.... maybe related? the prints was small, like about 50x50x50 mm

UM3

cura2.5beta1

latest stable firmeware

larger.jpg.thumb.png.5cbc00c1e6d091b6fec03e29b6c5851d.png

le_avion: The "detected move outside of normal printer volume" is an error that means the printer was ordered to move 50mm outside of the normal print area. And thus the printer stops to prevent any damage.

We (very rarely) had that a printer would slam the printhead repeatedly to the side of the printer, and added this protection to prevent this. We have actually found the root cause, but the cause was found late in the 3.6 firmware development process. So we only added the error detection, and not yet the proper fix to prevent this. As this touches a core component of the firmware.

Chances are good that you will not see this error again for a very long time. Currently we estimate this happening less then once every 1000 printing hours. Which is still too often, so it is one of the high priority fixes for 3.7

As for recovering the print, I think, if you delete the proper gcode up to this point, set bed leveling frequency to "never", you might be able to continue. But you will always get a seam where it stopped. The printer log does not show where the head was when it stopped, so the only way to find that would have been to ask the printer API when the machine was still on.

(Personally, I wouldn't even bother)

Chances are good that you will not see this error again for a very long time. Currently we estimate this happening less then once every 1000 printing hours. Which is still too often, so it is one of the high priority fixes for 3.7

As for recovering the print, I think, if you delete the proper gcode up to this point, set bed leveling frequency to "never", you might be able to continue. But you will always get a seam where it stopped. The printer log does not show where the head was when it stopped, so the only way to find that would have been to ask the printer API when the machine was still on.

(Personally, I wouldn't even bother)

I have used the printer maybe 400 hours since I got it. You know, here in the US we talk about 100 year floods that somehow happen to happen twice within a 5 year period so I am hesitant to start a new large print until the fix is out. I also had just enough PVA left to complete this print and starting from scratch means I don't have enough left :-(

I wish that the logs had the last Z position recorded.

My other printer, the Prusa i3 MK2, constantly displays the Z position on the LCD screen which is very helpful even if just to show where is the print currently. Also OctoPrint shows the current layer number. I wish UM3 had something similar.

We have actually found the root cause, but the cause was found late in the 3.6 firmware development process. So we only added the error detection, and not yet the proper fix to prevent this. As this touches a core component of the firmware.

So if I understand what you are saying is that the attempt to move is caused either by the firmware or that the firmware incorrectly detects an attempt to move outside the print area? It's not that there was really an actual gcode that attempted this move?

Posted (edited) · Detected move outside of normal printer volume

So if I understand what you are saying is that the attempt to move is caused either  by the firmware or that the firmware incorrectly detects an attempt to move outside the print area? It's not that there was really an actual gcode that attempted this move?

The move is corrupted when communicated between our linux system and the realtime stepper controller. Note that this could also happen with Octoprint which uses the same principle here.

We are currently upgrading the error checking and handling of this protocol.

Edited by Guest

The move is corrupted when communicated between our linux system and the realtime stepper controller. Note that this could also happen with Octoprint which uses the same principle here.

We are currently upgrading the error checking and handling of this protocol.

Thanks for the explanation.

BTW, I am not using OctoPrint with the UM3e. I am using it with the Prusa. I was just explaining how I liked the fact the OctoPrint displays the current layer number and hoped that UM3e will do the same as some point in the future.

I have a suggestion. Since Cura can and does communicate with the printer while it prints, can you display in Cura more information on the current job (i.e. current Z value and current height)?

To make matters even worse, Cura 2.5 beta 1 contains a bug where it puts a wrong required build size in the header, regardless of the actual size of the object.

This is supposedly solved in 2.5 beta 2.

It's completely unrelated to the bug this topic started with.

The printer log does not show where the head was when it stopped, so the only way to find that would have been to ask the printer API when the machine was still on.

This peaked my curiosity and I found your article about the API. So if I use /api/v1/print_job/progress and get back 0.7910827483974986, does it mean that the printer estimates that it completed 79.1% of the print job? Or is it is in a Z that is 79.1% of the total height?

It means 79.1% of the total file size. So you can calculate back the line number in the file from that.

The api/v1/printer also has a head position somewhere (don't know the exact detail out of my head) which reports a Z position as well.

Same problem here, brand new UM3e out of the box, print number 2 gave me the same error at about 10 % of the print (first print was the x/y calibration). Also a combination of PLA and PVA. Rather disappointing for such a high end printer. Luckily I live in the Netherlands. Let's see how their support is.

Great. This bug ruined a 70 hour print for me ......

Thanks

• Like 1