Carbon Fibre with PVA on UM3

komodo

Posted · Carbon Fibre with PVA on UM3

Hi,

Has anyone tried printing a Carbon Fibre material with PVA support on the UM3? Obviously with an upgraded block to allow for a steel nozzle - 3DSolex or something similar.

We have had a test print done with the UM Nylon and PVA on an UM3, but after dissolving the PVA the Nylon is far to flexible for our needs.

Any help or advice welcome.

Cheers

Rich

I am printing my first Polycarbonate prints and experimenting with PVA supports and such.

Ain't no flex in Polycarbonate as far as I can tell. I will be posting a G-Code, Project file and models once I am satisfied with the results.

Will that suffice? It will not damage your nozzle. Carbon Fiber can wear out a brass nozzle quickly from what I understand. Saving the sheckles for the cool new print cores that are now coming out to do Carbon Fiber and other brass killing filaments meself.

I don't have firsthand experience with the carbon fiber but I thought I'd share an interesting youtube video by Thomas Sanladerer where he tests baking Carbon Fiber HTPLA per the manufacturer recommendation and also regular old PLA. The baking increased the strength significantly in both cases. It's interesting to watch it nothing else. good luck on your search

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey sorry to reopen this post, but have you had success printing the carbon fiber materials?  Also is there anyway to get the stronger print nozzles now?  Or do I have to wait till ultimaker comes out with some?

Posted (edited) · Carbon Fibre with PVA on UM3
    14 minutes ago, GFlow said:

Hey sorry to reopen this post, but have you had success printing the carbon fiber materials?  Also is there anyway to get the stronger print nozzles now?  Or do I have to wait till ultimaker comes out with some?

3D Solex has a "HardCore" nozzle/core system for the UM3.  Their standard nozzles are still brass, but you can buy a hardened nozzle for the system as well. this guy has everything you need: https://thegr5store.com/store/ 

Edited by Jakeddesign

On 4/16/2018 at 10:22 AM, Jakeddesign said:

3D Solex has a "HardCore" nozzle/core system for the UM3.  Their standard nozzles are still brass, but you can buy a hardened nozzle for the system as well. this guy has everything you need: https://thegr5store.com/store/ 

That link isn't working for the store

Hi,

Sorry missed your reply. I had a little bit of success of CF, I used the Hardcore Nozzle for 3D Solex. We have now sold the UM3 as it just couldn't produce the quality of prints that we needed. We tried all sorts of retraction settings and just couldn't get clean prints. The support material used to drag and get caught on the print, and then obviously when you dissolve it you get an imperfection on the surface. The CF material also dragged and left bobbles on the print surface. Everything we tried with success on the UM2+ didn't work on the UM3, nothing else we tried worked either. We actually got much better results with the UM2+, the UM3 just wasn't for us.

BR

Rich