Problem with Huge Job

Posted (edited) · Problem with Huge Job

Hi,

We want to use the hole Printing Room in our Ultimaker 3 Extended.

I tried now several times to print a huge Part (190mmW x 180mm L x 267mm H)

It is a model designt with a lot of thin walls (0.8mm - 2.4mm) and has overhangs which are horizontal an need support.

I would need 900g of PVA, so I used PVA only in the Interface Regions which I made 6mm thick.

To go down with running times below 1 Week, I used 0.3mm layer thickness.

But quality is bad. Does anybody has good settings for huge parts with 0.3mm thickness that work?

Or is it necessary to use 0.2mm layr thickness and let run the job longer?

In the picture you see, that we use RED PLA with transparrent PVA

UM3_IMG_20170518_075712539.thumb.jpg.66a22419cbd33d82efcb5ca83ad5b8af.jpg

We hope to get help here. We bought the printer for bigger parts.

Some Details on the settings:

5% support density for PLA (20mm space between support lines, we know the bridging in ultamker is possible to work with this), 15% Support density for PVA, 6mm Interface thickness in Z at bottom and top of PLA-Supports

Greetings Alexander Bruns, Airbus Bremen

Edited by Guest

Posted · Problem with Huge Job

To save time printing large models you should strongly consider larger nozzles. Ultimaker is likely coming out with a 0.8mm nozzle soon (it's in cura anyway) and 3dsolex sells .8mm nozzles and 1mm nozzles and maybe larger. Look into the "hardcore" at 3dsolex.

You can print .6mm thick layers with a .8mm nozzle. It won't look as pretty (kind of like a stack of pancakes).

I agree with gr5, bigger nozzles is what you need. Expect 0.8mm from UM within 2 months. With a 0.4mm nozzle, 0.3mm layers is really pushing the limits.

Please note that the Cura default profiles are a coherent set of settings. If you change things like the layerheight, and printing speed, the profile is not optimal anymore. You may want to increase the printing temperature for example, to prevent underextrusion.

An interesting option may be gradual infill, but that depends on what you use the infill for. Infill can have 2 goals: strength, and something to carry the roof of the print.

If you care mostly about carrying the roof, gradual infill can really speed up your print. It uses a low % of infill in the bulk of the part, and only increases the infill-% in near the roof in a few steps.

I notice in your picture that I can see the PVA through your part. Your part has no bottom there, is that supposed to be the case?

SUCESS!!!

Hi, after the weekend and just restarting the 4,5 day job on tuesday, the job finally worked. Sorry I cannot show the final picture yet. But it worked. 6mm interfaces created with triangle-support and 5mm wifth on 20mm with triangle made out of PLA.

Going with a 0.4mm nozzle and 0.3mm to the edge. But it can work, after some trials.

Looking forward in repeating the job with a 0.8mm nozzle in two months.

Thx for your replies. Makeing a higher temperature was also one of my Ideas. But before doing addidional tries and changes I first wanted to get here an impression about other experience with such high build up volumes.

From my point of view, Model 190x190x270mm with 0.8 to 1.6mm thick walls, mainly flat also in 90° angle to the vert, can work.

Alex