UM2 Pre Purchase Advice

engingre

Posted · UM2 Pre Purchase Advice

Hi,

I'm hoping to formally join the community very shortly by dipping my toe with a UM2.  The unit I'm looking at appears to be quite an early model with firmware version 14.03.

Is there anything I should be aware of buying an early model? I see firmware is upgradeable but reading through these communities I've picked up a few references to 'bugs' in the early versions.

I intend to perform the 2+ upgrade eventually but would like to get some experience with printing beforehand. I assume the upgrade addresses any run/print time concerns by replacing the main wearing components?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

3P2Xl[/img]

Don't worry about it being old. These are good machines. My UM2 is from the first few months when it started selling and it still works great. Definitely get the plus kit. Or alternatively if you want to save money then print out the iRoberti feeder with Meduza 2x and buy an olsson block and get a new teflon part. Doing all that is probably just as good as the plus upgrade.

• Like 1

I would suggest: if possible, have a small PLA test print made *while attending it*. Watch and listen carefully. Then it will be obvious if everything is okay: bed and nozzle heaters and sensors, display, fans, feeder, stepper motors, all bearings still working, belts,...

Even with the original feeder, you can get excellent results, on the condition that you manually unwind and stretch very hard filament (like PLA), so its bending radius is not so tight anymore, and it has less friction in the bowden tube and nozzle. This already allows you to start and get all the rest right (bonding to bed, slicing your designs, etc...)

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · UM2 Pre Purchase Advice

I've got an early UM2, totally unmodified that I still run. As long as you don't ask too much from the feeder, it still runs like a champ. I usually increase the temperature a little so the feeder doesn't have to work quite as hard.

I definitely think the upgrade kit is worth while, but as it is, the printer should work well. Make sure everything is clean and lubricated.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1