Travel lines infill

xeno

Posted · Travel lines infill

I need to print some technical objects, and I want to use infill for a grate look, but the travel lines keep making it look less good.

is there a way to keep the travel outside the object ?

It is much faster to make then drawing all of it and using a 0.25 nozzle :) and not print to and bottom layer.

Not my part.

lines.jpg

Posted (edited) · Travel lines infill

There are settings in cura to make it not go over any holes in the print (and instead do exactly what it is doing there), I don't think you can make the printer not travel over infill, as the software was made to assume that stuff would go inside a print and not be visible...

There are however settings you can play with to minimize the lines...

I would look at print temperature, travel speed, retraction speed and distance as well as z-hop

Edited by Guest

I don't really see the problem with the head traveling over the infill? This will be closed and become invisible anyway, so why would it matter? Or am I missing something?

I don't really see the problem with the head traveling over the infill? This will be closed and become invisible anyway, so why would it matter? Or am I missing something?

You are... OP is taking advantage of the infill patterns generated by Cura, to make an interesting outer shell on his print...

Posted (edited) · Travel lines infill

You are... OP is taking advantage of the infill patterns generated by Cura, to make an interesting outer shell on his print...

Ah, okay, now I see. Thanks.  :)

If the design software allows to create "patterns" (=terminology in SpaceClaim / DesignSpark Mechanical; I don't know the name in other packages), then another solution might be to create one hole, and repeat that a number of times in X- and Y-direction, with 0.5mm walls inbetween (for a 0.4mm nozzle). I used that to create a sieve, which has a similar pattern. This requires very little work. Then you might still have some blobs, but at least it is already a bit more beautiful since the nozzle is now traveling along the lines only.

zeef1.thumb.jpg.4c0f2b050c6d9413ee6215f12145c401.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Ah, okay, now I see. Thanks.  :)

If the design software allows to create "patterns" (=terminology in SpaceClaim / DesignSpark Mechanical; I don't know the name in other packages), then another solution might be to create one hole, and repeat that a number of times in X- and Y-direction, with 0.5mm walls inbetween (for a 0.4mm nozzle). I used that to create a sieve, which has a similar pattern. This requires very little work. Then you might still have some blobs, but at least it is already a bit more beautiful since the nozzle is now traveling along the lines only.

zeef1.thumb.jpg.4c0f2b050c6d9413ee6215f12145c401.jpg

That's pretty elegant and simple. And, at least Design Spark, the no-cost version of Space Claim is a solid sibling to Space Claim.