Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Travel lines infill

xeno

Posted · Travel lines infill

I need to print some technical objects, and I want to use infill for a grate look, but the travel lines keep making it look less good.

is there a way to keep the travel outside the object ?

It is much faster to make then drawing all of it and using a 0.25 nozzle :) and not print to and bottom layer.

Not my part.

lines.jpg

There are settings in cura to make it not go over any holes in the print (and instead do exactly what it is doing there), I don't think you can make the printer not travel over infill, as the software was made to assume that stuff would go inside a print and not be visible...

There are however settings you can play with to minimize the lines...

I would look at print temperature, travel speed, retraction speed and distance as well as z-hop

I don't really see the problem with the head traveling over the infill? This will be closed and become invisible anyway, so why would it matter? Or am I missing something?

I don't really see the problem with the head traveling over the infill? This will be closed and become invisible anyway, so why would it matter? Or am I missing something?

You are... OP is taking advantage of the infill patterns generated by Cura, to make an interesting outer shell on his print...

You are... OP is taking advantage of the infill patterns generated by Cura, to make an interesting outer shell on his print...

Ah, okay, now I see. Thanks.  :)

If the design software allows to create "patterns" (=terminology in SpaceClaim / DesignSpark Mechanical; I don't know the name in other packages), then another solution might be to create one hole, and repeat that a number of times in X- and Y-direction, with 0.5mm walls inbetween (for a 0.4mm nozzle). I used that to create a sieve, which has a similar pattern. This requires very little work. Then you might still have some blobs, but at least it is already a bit more beautiful since the nozzle is now traveling along the lines only.

zeef1.thumb.jpg.4c0f2b050c6d9413ee6215f12145c401.jpg

Ah, okay, now I see. Thanks.  :)

If the design software allows to create "patterns" (=terminology in SpaceClaim / DesignSpark Mechanical; I don't know the name in other packages), then another solution might be to create one hole, and repeat that a number of times in X- and Y-direction, with 0.5mm walls inbetween (for a 0.4mm nozzle). I used that to create a sieve, which has a similar pattern. This requires very little work. Then you might still have some blobs, but at least it is already a bit more beautiful since the nozzle is now traveling along the lines only.

zeef1.thumb.jpg.4c0f2b050c6d9413ee6215f12145c401.jpg

That's pretty elegant and simple. And, at least Design Spark, the no-cost version of Space Claim is a solid sibling to Space Claim.

Archived