Cannot get Cura to make a decent print on my UM2+

latreides

Posted · Cannot get Cura to make a decent print on my UM2+

Everything I try and print with Cura, with default settings for the UM2+, turns out like garbage. Its mostly what appears to be a stringing/oozing issue, but I would think that the default settings would at least get me close. I tried adjusting temperature and the retraction settings (including combing), but I got nowhere.

Here is an example, though this is pretty minor compared to some of the prints.

IMG_20170530_202749.jpg

When I load the same models up in Simplify 3d, default UM2+ settings (which, look pretty close to the Cura settings for the most part), it prints perfectly. Any idea what could be wrong?

What material are you using? From what brand?

I had started to gather data on this in my original post, but stopped because it seemed irrelevant. I use the same materials from the same brands, printing at the same temperatures, with the same thicknesses, at the same speeds, the same layer height, and the same retraction settings, etc..., in S3D and get perfect results every time (really the UM2+ is amazing ~200 hours printing since I got it a couple weeks ago, and its never once messed up a part (except the Cura issue)).

I have gotten Cura to produce a good print, once. Same materials, same settings, same everything as above. It was a perfect print. Made even better by the fact that Cura made circular supports! It had some small circle shaped holes in the bottom and Cura filled those with supports that made sense where S3D tried to fit rectangle/linear supports in there (and there is little to no room for that). This is one of the reasons I keep trying Cura even though S3D works great for me in all other aspects.

What material are you using? From what brand?

I had started to gather data on this in my original post, but stopped because it seemed irrelevant. I use the same materials from the same brands, printing at the same temperatures, with the same thicknesses, at the same speeds, the same layer height, and the same retraction settings, etc..., in S3D and get perfect results every time (really the UM2+ is amazing ~200 hours printing since I got it a couple weeks ago, and its never once messed up a part (except the Cura issue)).

I have gotten Cura to produce a good print, once.  Same materials, same settings, same everything as above.  It was a perfect print.  Made even better by the fact that Cura made circular supports!  It had some small circle shaped holes in the bottom and Cura filled those with supports that made sense where S3D tried to fit rectangle/linear supports in there (and there is little to no room for that).  This is one of the reasons I keep trying Cura even though S3D works great for me in all other aspects.

What version of Cura are you using?

I am using Cura 2.5.

I was just reading that by default Cura (might?) output the Ultimaker flavor of gcode, rather than the standard gcode. I wonder if changing this setting will have any impact on the print? Its definitly one major difference between Cura and S3D.

I am using Cura 2.5.  

I was just reading that by default Cura (might?) output the Ultimaker flavor of gcode, rather than the standard gcode.  I wonder if changing this setting will have any impact on the print?  Its definitly one major difference between Cura and S3D.

If your UM2+ is "stock" and you have downloaded the latest Cura 2.5 firmware to it the gcode should be correct.

That said, you might try Cura 2.4. Cura 2.5 was the first multithread version of Cura, and I personally had some odd problems with it and continue to use 2.4 for my production work.

Caution, put 2.4 on a different machine as this version, I believe, will overwrite the 2.5 version on your machine.

Hope this helps . . .

Posted (edited) · Cannot get Cura to make a decent print on my UM2+

My printer is stock, the firmware has been updated by Cura 2.5 to the latest (which it already had on it as far as I can tell).

Just to be thorough I also tried with the Ultimaker brand filament.  It doesn't change anything, it still produces the same results with Cura.

(Ultimaker brand w/Cura)

Cura_Ultimaker.jpg

(Ultimaker brand w/S3D)

S3_D_Ultimaker.jpg

These are quick examples after just a minute or so.  By the time it gets a dozen layers on, the cumulative effect is much worse. This is default settings, using Cura 2.5 on a stock Ultimaker 2+ with Ultimaker brand filament.

Edited by Guest

My printer is stock, the firmware has been updated by Cura 2.5 to the latest (which it already had on it as far as I can tell).

Just to be thorough I also tried with the Ultimaker brand filament.  It doesn't change anything, it still produces the same results with Cura.

(Ultimaker brand w/Cura)

Cura_Ultimaker.jpg

(Ultimaker brand w/S3D)

S3_D_Ultimaker.jpg

These are quick examples after just a minute or so.  By the time it gets a dozen layers on, the cumulative effect is much worse.  This is default settings, using Cura 2.5 on a stock Ultimaker 2+ with Ultimaker brand filament.

Was this problem ever resolved? Were you able to test the same file using Ver 2.4?

But what type of filament? PLA?

Perhaps the firmware upgrade ffed up your retraction settings. Please check your retraction settings on th printer.

Please consider filing a bug report at github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine

Please attach your gcode and your project file (change extension to txt)

Was this problem ever resolved?  Were you able to test the same file using Ver 2.4?

I have not resolved this problem yet, nor have I had the time to experiment in the last week (I have been printing almost non-stop).

Yes, I only print with PLA.

Perhaps the firmware upgrade ffed up your retraction settings. Please check your retraction settings on th printer.

It did this out of the box, and still did this after I did a firmware 'upgrade' (pretty sure that Cura just flashed the version that was already on the printer, since the version info in the printer didn't change).

Was this problem ever resolved?  Were you able to test the same file using Ver 2.4?

I have not resolved this problem yet, nor have I had the time to experiment in the last week (I have been printing almost non-stop).

Yes, I only print with PLA.

It did this out of the box, and still did this after I did a firmware 'upgrade' (pretty sure that Cura just flashed the version that was already on the printer, since the version info in the printer didn't change).

Seems you have answered some of these questions multiple times !! All I can add is the same question I've asked all along. Have you tried Cura 2.4? Cura 2.5 is the first version that is multi threaded, and I personally have found that it does do some odd things. As a result, I am still using 2.4 for my production work. That said, 2.6 Beta is looking very promising . . .

Seems you have answered some of these questions multiple times !!  All I can add is the same question I've asked all along.  Have you tried Cura 2.4?

I plan to, however my UM2+ has been printing almost non-stop since I bought it, so I don't have much time for experimenting with a different version at this time. Once I get a little down time again I will try 2.4 and see if I get different results.

I’m experiencing the same issues. Also in cues version 2.4. The strange thing , although not recommended, if I print over USB printing quality is fine. Gcode settings are set to Ultimaker2, also when is was printing over USB.  Firmaware is upgraded. 

Really lookinging to solve this having this problem for a long time. 

5 hours ago, Mart3n said:

Really lookinging to solve this having this problem for a long time. 

If you are using a UM2+, my recommendation is to not use Cura.  Use Simplify3D.

If you are using a UM3, Cura seems to work fine (I cannot get S3D to work with the dual extrusion on the UM3)

Maybe you should consider updating to a newer Cura, rather than to Simplify3D.
    Cura 3.5 just came out.

Cura 2.4 is rather old. Your problem may have been solved a long time ago

21 minutes ago, bagel-orb said:

Maybe you should consider updating to a newer Cura, rather than to Simplify3D.
    Cura 3.5 just came out.

Cura 2.4 is rather old. Your problem may have been solved a long time ago

You assume that I have stayed on 2.5 (I was never on 2.4).  I keep my Cura up to date.  While Cura has gotten better, S3D still generates better GCode, has fewer issues and has many features that Cura lacks.  I still use Cura when doing dual extrusion on the UM3 because S3D's dual extrusion is terrible, but for all else, I find that S3D always has a better print.

Edited by latreides

7 hours ago, Mart3n said:

I’m experiencing the same issues. Also in cues version 2.4

I was replying to this user who is still on Cura 2.4

1 hour ago, bagel-orb said:

I was replying to this user who is still on Cura 2.4

What you quoted was the user saying that they also experience this in Cura 2.4 (which was the original suggested solution).  It does not say that he is currently using Cura 2.4 just that the recommended solution does not work.

Edited by latreides

On 10/16/2018 at 4:08 PM, latreides said:

You assume that I have stayed on 2.5 (I was never on 2.4).  I keep my Cura up to date.  While Cura has gotten better, S3D still generates better GCode, has fewer issues and has many features that Cura lacks.  I still use Cura when doing dual extrusion on the UM3 because S3D's dual extrusion is terrible, but for all else, I find that S3D always has a better print.

Thanks I am going to try use s3D and will leave a comment on the results here. 

I have done Some printing with S3D and this is quite working better. Still figuring out the best settings. Outer layers look fine but needed to put the extruded factor almost to two before getting results with enough quality. Still figuring out how to get the outer walls connected with one another. Any tips?

E776A132-6ABC-40C4-B20C-2EDD91864375.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mart3n said:

I have done Some printing with S3D and this is quite working better. Still figuring out the best settings. Outer layers look fine but needed to put the extruded factor almost to two before getting results with enough quality. Still figuring out how to get the outer walls connected with one another. Any tips?

Unless you have custom hardware modifications (like a new extruder with a different gearing ratio) then you should never have to adjust the extrusion multiplier greater than 1.0.

I have found, 99% of the time, when you are not getting enough extrusion, its because you are printing at too low of a temperature.  The walls not connecting is likely an artifact of this, the filament is coming out 'thinner' and not "squishing" enough.

That being said, there is an "Outline Overlap" setting that you can adjust (mine is at 35% for my UM2+) that might help you here.  Beware though that you might just be hiding another issue (like too low of a temperature).  Also make sure that you have the filament size set correctly (you should generally do this every print, on any slicer, but at least once a roll).

I hate to admit it but I still use Cura 15.04 (with the same print speed setting for walls and infill) for the majority of my UM2 prints.

Cura 15.04 is rather primitive but very consistent and predictable.

Cura 2.x and 3.x have unfortunately had numerous bugs, the most annoying ones in my opinion related to excessive travel moves.

The 3.5.1 version should have addressed the majority of the bugs, but if you are still not happy with it and can live with a primitive slicer 15.04 might be worth a try.