Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
swepet

Making flexible sliding doors with the ultimaker

Just wanted to share something i been working on, making flexible parts with PLA (with regular PLA, i have not tried special flexible PLA).

Sliding doors, to be more precise. Here is how i did the door..

The bottom (flexible part) of the door is 0,3mm thick, the ribs are 3mm wide and 3mm high (makes total door height = 3,3mm), and the spacing between them are 1 mm. Door is printed with a layer height of 0.1mm, making the flexible part 3 layers. The trays the door slide in i made 5mm wide..

And it doesn't feel like it would break of stress, i think it will last a long time..

So remember the Ultimaker can make flexible sliding doors if you need that in your next project :-)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16550

Here is some files !! I have removed the ammo parts of it and also tried to reduced material used. Haven't printed the new design but hope i didn't make any fatal mistakes,..

About the strength of the flexible part, i think that none of the flexible segments is bent more then 10 degrees, since the bend is divided over a lot of segments..

Also i think flexible parts like this would make a nice screen around a lamp or other things :-)