Question: First and second layer not sticking together properly and/or warping.

Posted · Question: First and second layer not sticking together properly and/or warping.

Hello,

The first and second layers of my prints are not being printed flush with each other and/or are being warped. All following layers appear to be printing fine. Please look at the photos provided, if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Additional Info:

Printing AMZ3D 1.75 filament

Extruder is 190 C

Bed is 50 C with painters tape

Thanks again for you help in my current situation.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.e3bdeacf4c5f44c8c7301f88f65e9b87.jpg5a333c22a718c_FullSizeRender-Copy.thumb.jpg.f095cb0543e2ac55c8bea0cb1baf237c.jpg5a333c2286736_FullSizeRender-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.c62e495e9d392fd93b425e608c62466b.jpg

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.e3bdeacf4c5f44c8c7301f88f65e9b87.jpg

5a333c22a718c_FullSizeRender-Copy.thumb.jpg.f095cb0543e2ac55c8bea0cb1baf237c.jpg

5a333c2286736_FullSizeRender-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.c62e495e9d392fd93b425e608c62466b.jpg

Posted · Question: First and second layer not sticking together properly and/or warping.

The bottom layer is tricky. If you don't squish it very well then it doesn't stick well. If you squish it too much then it sticks out. In my opinion the best fix is to read this guid in particular the section about "use chamfers to produce cleaner bottom edge".

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/38-designing-for-3d-printing

• Like 1

The bottom layer is tricky.  If you don't squish it very well then it doesn't stick well.  If you squish it too much then it sticks out.  In my opinion the best fix is to read this guid in particular the section about "use chamfers to produce cleaner bottom edge".

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/38-designing-for-3d-printing

That is a great link! I have saved the page so that I can study it and keep the reference. Major thanks!!<3

Recently I have been testing various things to reduce this effect. Often I have tiny models with lots of small holes (a few mm diameter) at the bottom, so they need to be squished well onto the glass bed, to prevent the hole-outlines from being pulled off.

Things that help:

- Round the bottom edges with 0.3 or 0.4mm, maximum 0.5mm. I tried chamfers too, but they worked less good than rounds in my tests.

- Or if you have access to the design files: if you print the first layer with 0.2mm thickness, then manually reduce width of that layer by 0.1mm to 0.2mm. Ideally this reduction in outer size should be done in the slicer, and on the first layer only. But since that is not possible (yet?), you could simulate this effect manually in the design. If you reduce the first layer too much, it creates a worse effect: ugly overhangs, and a reduction in bonding strength. You need to try the optimum for your settings.

Make a small test object, and try each of these tactics. For example, design 6 blocks of 10mm x 10mm x 10mm, and give them rounds of 0.3, 0.4, and 0.5mm; and a first layer reduction of 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3mm.

• 6 months later...

I h ave the same problem as the original poster. Extremely frustrating, specifically because the rest of the model prints out great!

@KTW

1) are you printing PLA or some other material?  

2) Is the bottom layer sticking really well but the next layer up peels off of it?

Posted (edited) · Question: First and second layer not sticking together properly and/or warping.

Hi, @gr5,

1) I am printing w/ inland PLA. 

2) The bottom layer sticks well, but the next layer up peels off - it's as if it is super narrow. Moving upward on the next few layers things normalize and I get a fantastic print (at least for what I'm doing).

layer_issue.jpg

Edited by KTW

On 1/11/2018 at 8:49 PM, gr5 said:

@KTW

1) are you printing PLA or some other material?  

2) Is the bottom layer sticking really well but the next layer up peels off of it?

See post above. Sorry, I'm new at this, @gr5 so wasn't sure if you would see my edited post above this one. I appreciate the interest. Thanks!