ER18 How can I solve this Error?

J_Trust

Posted · ER18 How can I solve this Error?

Hello,

The Situation:

last week I printed a relativly big Model on the UM3, using a Polycarbonate Filament. The print lost the adhesion to the buildplate over night. As I came back to the Printer the next day, the PC embraced the Printcore and parts of the printhead. After I managed to rescue the Head and the core I reassembled everything and connected the Head wit the rest of printer and switched it on.

After approximately a minute the Error 18 was Displayed.

Summarized, the Error says no or no proper communication between Printer and Printhead.

Since then, at every boot the Ultimaker logo is shown on the Display, the Printer clicks a few times

(which I didn´t notice before the Error, at least not that often) and the Error Code blocks the acces to the UI.

Things I already tried:

- Turn it on and of again

- dis- and reconnect from electricity

- dis- and reconnect the head again

- check the connection from the wire tree at the Printhead end as well as the end towards the Controller

Things I consider:

- restore factory condition (but can´t because no access to UI due to the Error code)

It would be great if you could help me with this one.

Thank you in advance!

I suspect you won't get any good answers here as these printers have been pretty reliable and when this sort of thing happens I think a reseller deals with it. This sounds like a relatively serious problem - an arduino pin could have shorted out possibly due to a faulty core. Or any number of other issues. I recommend you have your reseller deal with this issue. they may need to replace a few boards until they figure it out.

Have you tried starting it up without any of the possibly damaged cores installed? If it starts up without cores installed you've found your problem.

Check the board inside the head, does it look damaged?

If you manage to get it started without the cores, do a firmware update. An update that was just pushed out deals with a few bugs that have to do with communication issues.

If none of that helps, get in contact with your reseller. They'll have routines in place to deal with a flooded head. You might need to replace the entire head.