Ultimaker 2 won't load filament

Posted · Ultimaker 2 won't load filament

At the school where I work I take care of the Ultimaker 2 we use. Yesterday I could print without problems but "at once" there is a problem: when I load the filament during the menu orders, the knurled wheel that has to grab the filament turns reverse. I found out so far that while loading filament this wheel unloads en when the menu says "unloading" this wheel turns as if loading the filament.

What is wrong? Who can help me with this?

The most likely issue is that you have the wrong firmware. The UM2 rotates one direction for feeding and the UM2+ and um2go rotate the other. Could you have loaded the um2+ firmware on a um2 or vice versa?

Thanks, Gr5, for your answer, but no I didn't. As said "out of the blue" it didn't work anymore or at least the knurled wheel turns the other way round.

But because of what you say, perhaps it will work if I install the firmware again for the UM2?

if you have the black feeder on the back, use the UM2 firmware

if you have the white feeder on the back, use the UM2+ firmware

it is OK to load the (right) firmware again

More thoughts since you say you didn't load firmware:

If one of the 4 wires is broken the servo will sometimes turn the wrong way or not at all and just hum and vibrate.

You can reverse a stepper by swapping two of the wires in the connector. Swap the two wires in either twisted pair. In other words if green and black are twisted together then you can swap the positions of the green and black wire. This will reverse that stepper.

Usually a paperclip can be used to push the correct tabs and get the connect pins out. then reverse them and slide them back in until they snap into place. No soldering needed.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 won't load filament

Thank you all, I've cracked the code.

Somehow an unauthorized person probably connected his laptop to the UM2 and updated/ uploaded the wrong firmware.

It is functioning again as usual.

Problem solved.

Thanks again!

Edited by Guest