Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
pluggedIN

UM2+ will not extrude any filament

My UM2+ has been printing things all weekend but stopped yestrerday. It will retract fine, but will not extrude. I did the atomic method, and not much came out. I was also able to manually push filament in, and it would extrude fine. I took the nozzle off, and there was some filament stuck in there. I removed it, levled and it started working again. It started printing but then stopped again. When it extrudes, you can hear the motor turning but no filament comes out. I know it is heating up becuase I took a spare piece of filament and pressed it to the outside of the nozzle.

Any suggestions of things to try? Is this a bigger issue then a clogged tube?

Has the feeder chewed up filament recently? It could be that the knurled feeder wheel is completely loaded with filament dust and is having a hard time gripping the filament. Take the feeder apart and give it a good cleaning. Here's a guide on how to disassemble it:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/64-disassembly-of-the-ultimaker-2-plus-feeder

Obviously you don't have to take it completely apart to get to the feeder wheel.

• Like 1

Take the feeder apart and give it a good cleaning. Here's a guide on how to disassemble it:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/64-disassembly-of-the-ultimaker-2-plus-feeder

Obviously you don't have to take it completely apart to get to the feeder wheel.

WOW! That was the most hands-on I've ever been with my Ultimaker. I ended up taking it completely off. Let me tell you, there was some pretty colored pixie dust in there. Even though there were some "OMG! WHERE DID THAT SCREW GO!?" moments, overall it was a good learning experience. And most of all, it now works! Huzzah!

• Like 1

Houston, we may have a problem. Since doing that, I have noticed the prints are more stringy, there have been big blobs of filament in the print, and also, every so often I hear a loud clacking sound. I assume this is related to when I took off the feeder? Did I not do something right when putting it back, or is this a new issue?