Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ultradryan

CURA keeps forgetting default and custom profile settings on UM3 printers.

I am not sure if this is hardware or software issue since this only happens on UM3.

5a333d09c7d79_.thumb.PNG.c77ece1f621ef53f718c51417a288485.PNG

Occasionally (and nearly every time) when i open up CURA, it forgets the profile i hv set for UM3.

It says it's empty when i click manage profile, including the custom profiles i set..

I hv to constantly remove and add the printer back to CURA, sometimes it gets default the profile back, sometimes it doesnt...

It's just annoying and i dun seem to find a reason for that, did any UM3 users experience the same here?

thx.

5a333d09c7d79_.thumb.PNG.c77ece1f621ef53f718c51417a288485.PNG

Edited by Guest

I have not had that issue. But, I am only using a UM3. Do you have other printers that need to load in the setups?

I only hv one printer now (UM3), and I hv tried uninstall and reinstall CURA too, but it didnt helped. I tried CURA on multiple PCs connected to the same printer, same issue occurs....

Short answer: You renamed the material type. This won't work

Long answer: Cura does a ton of magic regarding profiles, especially for the UM3. When you select a material, it will try to find a quality profile that matches the material type, machine and cartridge. We have hundreds of such combinations.

The problem is that you renamed a material type to something that does not have such a quality profile. We need to improve the system so that it does give a profile, but warns you that it isn't supported.

Short answer: You renamed the material type. This won't work

Long answer: Cura does a ton of magic regarding profiles, especially for the UM3. When you select a material, it will try to find a quality profile that matches the material type, machine and cartridge. We have hundreds of such combinations.

The problem is that you renamed a material type to something that does not have such a quality profile. We need to improve the system so that it does give a profile, but warns you that it isn't supported.

Is there a way I can create a material that inherit the settings of some default materials, while overrides only a few things that requires different settings? I use third-party materials and sometimes i need to change a few things.

That said, even if I create a custom material and then custom set a brand new profile, it still forgets what i hv set and sometimes not allow me to do so. It that a bug? becuz the behaviour doesn't sound consistent from time to time. thus far i am hv only created a custom PLA+ material (that is a duplicate from regular PLA, with some temperature settings changed), sometimes it allows me to create a profile, sometimes it doesnt... So there I felt a little bit confused what should i do.

Is there a way I can create a material that inherit the settings of some default materials, while overrides only a few things that requires different settings? I use third-party materials and sometimes i need to change a few things.

Yes. Don't rename the Type. Using PLA will work, using PLA+ won't.