CURA keeps forgetting default and custom profile settings on UM3 printers.

Posted (edited) · CURA keeps forgetting default and custom profile settings on UM3 printers.

I am not sure if this is hardware or software issue since this only happens on UM3.

5a333d09c7d79_.thumb.PNG.c77ece1f621ef53f718c51417a288485.PNG

Occasionally (and nearly every time) when i open up CURA, it forgets the profile i hv set for UM3.

It says it's empty when i click manage profile, including the custom profiles i set..

I hv to constantly remove and add the printer back to CURA, sometimes it gets default the profile back, sometimes it doesnt...

It's just annoying and i dun seem to find a reason for that, did any UM3 users experience the same here?

thx.

5a333d09c7d79_.thumb.PNG.c77ece1f621ef53f718c51417a288485.PNG

Edited by Guest

Posted · CURA keeps forgetting default and custom profile settings on UM3 printers.

I have not had that issue. But, I am only using a UM3. Do you have other printers that need to load in the setups?

Posted · CURA keeps forgetting default and custom profile settings on UM3 printers.

I have not had that issue. But, I am only using a UM3. Do you have other printers that need to load in the setups?

I only hv one printer now (UM3), and I hv tried uninstall and reinstall CURA too, but it didnt helped. I tried CURA on multiple PCs connected to the same printer, same issue occurs....

Short answer: You renamed the material type. This won't work

Long answer: Cura does a ton of magic regarding profiles, especially for the UM3. When you select a material, it will try to find a quality profile that matches the material type, machine and cartridge. We have hundreds of such combinations.

The problem is that you renamed a material type to something that does not have such a quality profile. We need to improve the system so that it does give a profile, but warns you that it isn't supported.

Short answer: You renamed the material type. This won't work

Long answer: Cura does a ton of magic regarding profiles, especially for the UM3. When you select a material, it will try to find a quality profile that matches the material type, machine and cartridge. We have hundreds of such combinations.

The problem is that you renamed a material type to something that does not have such a quality profile. We need to improve the system so that it does give a profile, but warns you that it isn't supported.

Is there a way I can create a material that inherit the settings of some default materials, while overrides only a few things that requires different settings? I use third-party materials and sometimes i need to change a few things.

That said, even if I create a custom material and then custom set a brand new profile, it still forgets what i hv set and sometimes not allow me to do so. It that a bug? becuz the behaviour doesn't sound consistent from time to time. thus far i am hv only created a custom PLA+ material (that is a duplicate from regular PLA, with some temperature settings changed), sometimes it allows me to create a profile, sometimes it doesnt... So there I felt a little bit confused what should i do.

Is there a way I can create a material that inherit the settings of some default materials, while overrides only a few things that requires different settings? I use third-party materials and sometimes i need to change a few things.

Yes. Don't rename the Type. Using PLA will work, using PLA+ won't.

Cura is not clear in that respect, I consider the whole material and profile settings very buggy.

When defining custom materials there are not much options to store while when stored the values also tend to change between sessions or Cura versions.