Spring on top of the second print core

Orange_42

Posted · Spring on top of the second print core

I was removing the PVA Filament from the printer when it got stuck and broke off in the feeder. I was able to get it out of the Bowden tubes by removing the tubes from the print head. I inserted the tube back into the print head and everything seemed okay at first. I changed the core so that I could use a different color and inserted the filament into the feeder to start getting the printer ready (I did follow the steps given on screen). I waited for the filament to start extruding as per the instructions and nothing happened for a long time. That's when I notice a spring above the second printcore that was not there before. Does anyone know what that spring is and know how to put it back into the print head if possible?

wtf? What is that? Take that spring out. There shouldn't be a spring there. I think someone played a joke on you? Do you have a 3 year old who puts things in places?

wtf?  What is that?  Take that spring out.  There shouldn't be a spring there.  I think someone played a joke on you?  Do you have a 3 year old who puts things in places?

Hi to all !

It's not a joke !

I don't own an UM3 but I had the opportunity to disassemble an UM3 print head

this spring exist, it serves to keep well in pressure the 2 level switch parts,

something goes wrong for the Orange_42 case, the spring went out from it position, For an unknown reason, I think it turned while screwing out through the hole ?

it will need to open the top head to reposition it under the condition that there is no level broken parts,

Without this spring the level switch would not "switch" perfectely.

• Like 2

sorry for not having a better pic

5a333d7b2827b_UM3levelswitchspring.thumb.jpg.4b588de0d3ac627494bca7ce8b59c2ee.jpg

5a333d7b2827b_UM3levelswitchspring.thumb.jpg.4b588de0d3ac627494bca7ce8b59c2ee.jpg

Judging from the first photo, the filament insert guide is not upside down. The spring looks like it shifted in the lifting switch and worked it's way loose. It should be a pretty straight forward fix. Since you're in the US, please reach out to Support@fbrc8.com so we can get you what you need.

I just noticed the exact same issue on my UM3 (bought in March 2019).
    I don't know if I had this from the beginning or when it did happen.

The spring was quite messed up because I did not noticed this before today and I guess I damaged it by pushing the printcore in place.

I've been dismounting the head, sliighly undistorded the spring and then put it the other way round so that the "good" end fit in place nicely where it belongs. I used this post as a guide for the assembly order.

Everything seems good right now. Still I'd like to buy a new spring in case it happens again. Do you have any reference to provide ?

Regards