Simplyfi 3D Coasting and Wipe issues

Posted · Simplyfi 3D Coasting and Wipe issues

I have S3D v4 and when I had v3.1 installed I found the wipe settings not working as they used to do has anyone found the same, I'm getting blobs over my prints and don't seem to reduce them, setting I have at moment.

PLA

temp 195

speed 1900.0

coasting 0.50

wipe 2.0

retract 2.0

any help greatly appreciated.

Do your tool change settings match your retract/speed ?

I ask this because if you use more than 1 process, S3D goes bananas and make weird stuff if the tool change doesn't match the same speed and distance of the normal setup.... Apart from that, I seen some twitters of people having that issue on new version, but not me. (I found quite a few bugs but not on that areas)

5a333db002048_GuardianModel.thumb.JPG.3b4532c84c6790efcad6773b9c636325.JPG

Neotko

thanks for the reply the above model was done in one process, so I thought that would cancel out tool change settings

these are as below just std s3D settings

{IF NEWTOOL=0}T0 ; start tool switch 0

{IF NEWTOOL=0}G1 Y250 F8000 ; travel

{IF NEWTOOL=0}G1 E-0.5 F500 ; fast purge

{IF NEWTOOL=1}T1 ; start tool switch 1

{IF NEWTOOL=1}G1 Y250 F8000 ; travel

{IF NEWTOOL=1}G1 E-0.5 F500 ; fast purge

My retraction speed is set 2100.0 mm/min

I don't use mm/min but I mean the values on the tap. Umm. Did you try the same on 3.X and prints better? Cos if that's the case it could be easy to run a gcode check to see where the issue is.

Neotko

thanks mm/min is a bad habit I got into, but its a few taps of a calc to sort it, 3.x was doing the same on the dual head and its where I'm getting all the problems with, I was told switch off coast and wipe as they don't work on my printer, but to be honest I don't see any difference on or off, been in touch with s3D and all I got back was read the web help pages ( as if I haven't done it) possible problem might be at the end of the run and I might try upping - values in extra restart values.

Neotko

thanks mm/min is a bad habit I got into, but its a few taps of a calc to sort it, 3.x was doing the same on the dual head and its where I'm getting all the problems with, I was told switch off coast and wipe as they don't work on my printer, but to be honest I don't see any difference on or off, been in touch with s3D and all I got back was read the web help pages ( as if I haven't done it) possible problem might be at the end of the run and I might try upping - values in extra restart values.

Yea Simplify3D has the most horrible support. I got to mail 3 timea for them to answer with a non-copypaste about 3 bugs I found on 4.0 even when I did collect all the info and files.

This is on the bcn? Maybe you need to play with the temperature and watch if the heads are fluctuating?

About blobs. Try to enable ‘only retract when ‘ on advanced, this way with ‘avoid crossing’ you can get rid of most of the retractions that can cause blobs. Ofc then you might get scratches on top layers. It has a bug (imo) that even with combing active it doesn’t move from one perimeter to another without retracting IF the ‘only retract if’ is disabled. I found a work around for that but they killed it with a bug on 4.0

Neotko

your always have a wise words while trying to get a decent print (not there yet) I was printing this bracket one left and one right the left is a mirror of the right,

below has loads of retract at the taper point

Left.thumb.jpg.8adf9e6f4de6bf62cdebd65acc04aad0.jpg

as you can see where the profile tapers to a point there are no retractions

below

Right.thumb.jpg.0657dae0019fa5ab4cf9a77690e9db79.jpg

yet its a mirror any idears why

I suppose that's the Z retraction for each layer, ofc removing it would create more blops. Maybe you can try to play with this options

Go to Layer tap

Change Start points from Optimize etcetc. To Choose Start point closest to specific location. This way to could change the start/end of each layer to keep the Z scar on another spot. Ofc, also you can choose to ramdom it, with 'Use random start points' but also that increases the travel distance for the print. Depends on the object, it might or not help much, but worth a try.

If you want to remove that retractions you could disable the 'Force retraction between layers' on the Advanced tab. But ofc, when changing from one to other layer it might increase the chances of a blop because the head will remain static while changing Z for a few microsecs.

Thanks for that, Been trying to get a better cleaner print but no luck yet, been trying different retraction setting and dropping the temp, I bottomed out at 185 and to be honest it was still crap, so I going up in temp around 205 and see if that helps.

Interesting debug the guys at Duet3D does with 4.0. Clearly on some cases new 4.0 can cause massive amount of lines without doing much, making the machine stufter (movement planner has a buffer limit/second). If this can stufter a Duet3D, imagine the amount of blobs it could cause on a UM2 board.

https://www.duet3d.com/forum/thread.php?id=2209&p=2

So for now I would try to check what settings make S3D 4.0 cause this increase of useless movements, and check the gcode to debug the origin. Ofc for now unless it works, I would try to move production (critical/time/prints) to 3.1 S3D until they fix that

Neotko

makes interesting reading?? s3D have been back intouch asking for my FFF files.. I had a little success below the three tenors

5a333e3e59baa_3GuardiansF.thumb.JPG.c3e8bc667713876e8a695a88b2caf908.JPG

black was printed at 190 and is total crap red was printed at 205 alot better but still Zits..

I listened to the people I purchased it off who told me stay away from 200 + they also supplied custom firmware, as the BCN is buggy..

wont be lisening to them again??

I think i am going to be in a position that I will have to compile my own firmware..

will wait till I hear fromS3D

I will check all my code though and use 3.1 for a bit longer

Thanks

S3D guys have the most horrible support staff. So I would expect a very crappy copy/paste.

Yea I would test 3.1 or check the gcode to see if there’s a lot of moves for very small distance. BCN3D afaik also has a slow chip like um boards, so it can stutter pretty fast if the alicer is making a bad gcode.

Posted (edited) · Simplyfi 3D Coasting and Wipe issues

Any progress on this topic? Does anyone have a working profile I can start over with? What I have is workable but not beautiful.

I've been trying to do my own tune and this is what I have so far:

ret distance 4mm

no restart

no vertical lift

ret speed 1250mm/min

coast 1.75

wipe 1.75

on atomic PLA, I tried 190˚C to 205˚C.

part cooling fan on 80%.

I turned off retract during wipe 

I turned off "only retract when crossing open spaces"

my only ooze control is retract if traveling more than 3mm.

My machine is an original UM2 with Titan upgrade and Olsson block. I've replaced the bowden tube and the bushing with the new better one. All my UM2 upgrade and replacement parts came from gr5.

Edited by JRDM

On 2017-08-11 at 6:31 PM, neotko said:

Interesting debug the guys at Duet3D does with 4.0. Clearly on some cases new 4.0 can cause massive amount of lines without doing much, making the machine stufter (movement planner has a buffer limit/second). If this can stufter a Duet3D, imagine the amount of blobs it could cause on a UM2 board.

https://www.duet3d.com/forum/thread.php?id=2209&p=2

So for now I would try to check what settings make S3D 4.0 cause this increase of useless movements, and check the gcode to debug the origin. Ofc for now unless it works, I would try to move production (critical/time/prints) to 3.1 S3D until they fix that

Doesn't look like they improved much in v4.0.1...pretty much any print will overload my UMO+ now...with v3.1 it never happened. Yet I haven't made any crucial changes to my settings.

2 hours ago, nilrog said:

Doesn't look like they improved much in v4.0.1...pretty much any print will overload my UMO+ now...with v3.1 it never happened. Yet I haven't made any crucial changes to my settings.

Indeed. There’s something there with a combination of options that makes that. Do you have a profile or gcode that did stutter? I would like to compare to mine and check settings alike

On 2018-01-05 at 10:45 PM, neotko said:

Do you have a profile or gcode that did stutter?

With this file, shortly after starting the second layer, the print head stops for a second, the LCD shows "Sleep...", and then it continues to print.

On another file it happened immediately after the start gcode.

I'm always printing from SD-Card, never through USB.

File_with_stutter.gcode

Posted (edited) · Simplyfi 3D Coasting and Wipe issues
    On 8/6/2017 at 5:49 AM, bob-hepple said:

I have S3D v4 and when I had v3.1 installed I found the wipe settings not working as they used to do has anyone found the same, I'm getting blobs over my prints and don't seem to reduce them, setting I have at moment.

PLA

temp 195

speed 1900.0

coasting 0.50

wipe 2.0

retract 2.0

any help greatly appreciated.

Every blob is caused by dripping filament out of the nozzle when it travels from point A to point B.

The drip touches the wall and it turns into a blob.

Further travel=bigger blob on the wall.

In your case, you have blobs outside of the model with nothing traveling to the blob area from outside.

They are formed because you have excessive prime (retract 1mm prime 1.2mm maybe ?)

Have a look at retraction options.

If you have a half decent printer (extruder mainly, and direct drive preffered), your retraction and prime values should be the same.

If you get those when you have travels from outside (such as open walls inside the printget blobs but outside walls are ok) you need to retract when you travel. (as well as making sure you dont prime too much)

My printer can handle countless retractions all day long without getting jammed. I designed my own extruder for that purpose.

Since most extruders cant handle too many retractions, retraction is overlooked by the slicer developers.

They develop combing and all sorts of crap but dont incorporate retraction options very well.

I am surprised to hear that $150 software has a problem that every free slicer has. LOL

I am so happy i never purchased it.

Edited by tonycstech

12 hours ago, tonycstech said:

, your retraction and prime values should be the same.

thanks for the reply My retract is 3.50

I take it you mean Extra Restart Distance is the prime,  if not where is the prime??? I was going to use negative values as your suggestion of where my blobs are,  is from the beginning of the cycle 

On 4/3/2018 at 12:17 AM, tonycstech said:

(snip)

If you get those when you have travels from outside (such as open walls inside the printget blobs but outside walls are ok) you need to retract when you travel. (as well as making sure you dont prime too much)

My printer can handle countless retractions all day long without getting jammed. I designed my own extruder for that purpose.

Since most extruders cant handle too many retractions, retraction is overlooked by the slicer developers.

They develop combing and all sorts of crap but dont incorporate retraction options very well.

I am surprised to hear that $150 software has a problem that every free slicer has. LOL

I am so happy i never purchased it.

(I will avoid any feature flame-war comparison with S3D - I use CURA and S3D)  Each of these slicers has something that the other one doesn't have. 

S3D does have useful retraction settings:

mm retract, retract speed, coasting (letting filament run out at end of a run without extruding stuff), extra extrude after a retract, wiping,...  There may be more, I have used these to great effect to help with blobs and strings.  Sometimes what you need to do to correct the issue is not very intuitive...  "Over" retracting can cause weird things to happen, under-retracting gets you blobs and strings, LOTS of retracts in a small space will give you headaches on a print...  You end up fiddling until you find what is giving you problems.

DLC