More detail about line width

rebekah_harper

Posted · More detail about line width

hiya all,

I was wondering what the effect of the line width feature has on slicing.

if I have it set to 0.35 will the slicer calculate the travel based on 0.35 lines (a wall of 2 lines = 0.70) or calculate based on 0.4 ( a wall of 2 lines = 0.80) and only extrude enough material to create a 0.35 line?

or will it slice with lines of 0.35 but extrude 0.40 based on nozzle diameter? with this it could result in what appears to be over extrusion.

cheers

Becky

Posted (edited) · More detail about line width

It auto calculates everything. So a line width of 0.35 will create a wall of 2 lines that equal 0.7

It will extrude enough to create 0.35 thick lines even though your nozzle is 0.4 and it will step over 0.35mm so the lines touch perfectly.

So why does UM have line widths smaller then the nozzle diameters? They claim that is gives nicer results. One reason is on average the hole in the nozzle is slightly undersized and I'm guessing that having slightly less flow though it and utilising more nozzle shoulder helps smooth it out.

Edited by Guest

hiya,

thank you for the info.

I noticed that I was getting wiered spots on the outside on corners (not where it's doing retraction or restarts) but increasing from 0.35 to 0.39 seems to resolve this. In addition I am going to be using 0.15 size nozzle soon (when it arrives).

I have used it on UM2+ with some awesome results. so I am looking forward to using it on UM3

I have found that S3D isn't happy with UM3 at the moment.

regards

Rebekah

The blobs on the corners might be due to jerk setting being too low and causing too much overextrusion as it slows down and speeds up on the corners.

But if you have resulted it then that's good.

I have never used S3D but I'm sure others here can help you out if your having trouble setting up your UM3

yeah I need to sit down when I haven't got loads to print and work on it.

It seems that S3D isn't compensating for the height difference between the two nozzles as the PVA isn't going down nicely

cheers for the info.

I have only recently started to use cura (2 years of S3D) so still getting used to the settings and what they actually do.

In S3D auto doesn’t do a thing.

Set all to the real nozzle size if you want it to be 0.40

If you adjust extrusion width it will extrude to match the extrusion widthselected. So if with a 0.4 you choose 0.35 it will print like a 0.35 making more passes to fill, etc.

I use this quite a lot to adjust different parts of the print that needs different nozzle extrusion all with the 0.40. I can go down to 0.31 or up to 0.5

Becky, neotko is a genius at S3D. He really is. But his explanations are often confusing to me (partly his fumble fingers on his phone) so if you don't understand his answer, explain what you missed and ask for clarification of the part you didn't get. Because if you are patient you can get amazing kernels of wisdom from him.

Posted (edited) · More detail about line width

LOL yea I explain myself really bad most of the time.

What I mean.. is that S3D default option is like this:

5a333e31c5028_Capturadepantalla2017-08-09alas17_15_23.thumb.png.7ed6a64cf1f6b367ff27b39ad52c4c19.png

That's just bad, bad bad bad and bad.

It should be 1.00 instead of 0.90

If you enable the 'Auto' for Extrusion Width, it just changes it to a fixed value that he likes, and that value doesn't help anyone. Ofc you can change that Extrusion Width from 0.35 to 0.45 even using a 0.4 nozzle. For most of the prints you will get great results without any problem.

So the 'auto' doesn't do anything automatic, nor changes in real time to fit the needed extrusion. But 4.0 now has a Single wall that works quite nicely, to make thin walls that adjust themselfs atuomagically, that's on the last tap and it requieres some tests to control it fully, but with the gcode views you can see the effects on the print before printing it.

Edited by Guest

LOL yea I explain myself really bad most of the time.

What I mean.. is that S3D default option is like this:

5a333e31c5028_Capturadepantalla2017-08-09alas17_15_23.thumb.png.7ed6a64cf1f6b367ff27b39ad52c4c19.png

That's just bad, bad bad bad and bad.

It should be 1.00 instead of 0.90

If you enable the 'Auto' for Extrusion Width, it just changes it to a fixed value that he likes, and that value doesn't help anyone. Ofc you can change that Extrusion Width from 0.35 to 0.45 even using a 0.4 nozzle. For most of the prints you will get great results without any problem.

So the 'auto' doesn't do anything automatic, nor changes in real time to fit the needed extrusion. But 4.0 now has a Single wall that works quite nicely, to make thin walls that adjust themselfs atuomagically, that's on the last tap and it requieres some tests to control it fully, but with the gcode views you can see the effects on the print before printing it.

I did see that and changed it. I don't often use the auto function.

I do like some of the changes they did on 4.0 which is always a winner.

I just need to sit down and figure out what I need to do for the PVA to work from the start. it's not sticking to the build plate even though I have methods in place for material to do so.

I also need to set the retraction yet cause it's seeping out and I am getting a bit of material flopping all over the place at the start of the print.

Maybe the second nozzle isn't getting a perfect Z calibration. Can you try doing a manual bed calibration and printing again?

hiya,

done the manual a couple of times but I needed the printer to get to work so I will be giving it another go tomorrow when I have a gap :)

• Like 1

If the pva isn't sticking in a back corner (tower) then it's probably your warped glass even though you got a better quality glass from your manufacturer.  But if it isn't sticking in the middle... maybe clean the glass again really well.

About once per month I wash the glass in a sink and get everything off and use soap and warm water.  Then I rinse and dry and use glass cleaner and dry one more time.

Then I put it back into the printer and apply PVA.  One way is to use a little glue stick (really not much!) and then use wet tissue and spread it around.  heat up the wet glass to 60C until it all dries out.  It dries out about the same time it reaches 60C.