[solved] Cura not showing all parts, strange behaviour with supports

KowalskiFlausn

Posted (edited) · [solved] Cura not showing all parts, strange behaviour with supports

Hi!

I wanted to print some of these bigger LEGO Minifigures and experienced some strange behaviour with Cura 2.6.2.

There is an astronaut which has a planet on its shirt. The planet consists of two pieces in one .stl file. In Cura only one is showing up. I tried also CraftWare and there both show up.

Cura: onlyonepiece.png

And that's how it looks in the preview of thingiverse: bothtiles.png

I also had some problems with a strange support of the shirt. Hopefully the picture speaks for itself.

strangesupport.png

The values I've used: supportvalues.png

Can someone help me with these issues? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Guest

Posted · [solved] Cura not showing all parts, strange behaviour with supports

Well the support algorithm is very complicated and doesn't work in all cases and I don't want to address that so much but it looks like it will be fine - I mean I don't think it needs any support in that horizontal hole so it should be fine.

Your other issue is more serious and interesting. Did you look at the part in xray view? I'm guessing it was made in sketchup and has an extra wall. If you see any red color in xray view then that's the problem. Please post a photo of the part in xray view.

• Like 2

I don't have any good ideas. Maybe someone else can test this. It *looks* okay in thingiverse but maybe it's corrupt or something. If it were me I would simply slice it in cura 15.X.

• Like 1

The stl-file contains more that one solid. Obviously the Cura importer can not handle this. Here is an older thread about the file format and a possible solution:

http://ultimaker.com/en/community/39415-importing-stl-with-multiple-objects-only-one-object-appears-in-cura#reply-176237

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · [solved] Cura not showing all parts, strange behaviour with supports

Thank you! I will try it with Meshmixer and will post the result in here. But atm I'm very busy. So this will likely not happen until the middle of next week.

Addition:

I've found an export function in CraftWare and gave it a try. After that both tiles appeared in Cura. As I've found a solution for myself, I won't give Meshmixer a try. But I bet, it would have done the same.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for your replies.

Support: I just was wondering, because it's "flying". Thought it won't be a problem. thx.

Xray looks like this: xrayview.png

The file is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/download:3943475

Hopefully both will help. Again thanks in advance.

I took a look at the parts (all) and it seems that the 'planet' is missing the other part. This is the way the zip file is. If you download the file individually, it is the same.

So, I looked at both files in a couple of programs. Cura did not see it (as you  reported) and 3DS MAX did not see it either. It did, however, open just fine in 3D Coat. So, I fixed it for ya.

You can get the fixed file here. It should all be ok. There may have been a variance introduced during the translation, but it is what it is.

All I can figure is that it had some strange thing going on with the export from whatever package it came from and, it was in ASCII....blech....The fixed file is in binary .STL.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Thank you kman! I've found a solution for myself (see addition at my reply before this), if this ever happens again. You're file is indeed functioning and both parts are showing up.

Thank you kman! I've found a solution for myself (see addition at my reply before this), if this ever happens again. You're file is indeed functioning and both parts are showing up.

No worries. I took a look at the other thread that you pointed to. It seems to be the same issue: basically an incompatibility in the format exported in/program exported from. That is why it is good to explore more than one package. As good as MAX can be, it could not see it, but 3D Coat (1/10th the price) found it just fine.

File formats can be tricky....should have been here in the olden days when we carved symbols into our granite monitors. It took about 3 years before TIFF became stable across all platforms believe it or not. I used to get instructions from film separators (Back when they used film to make plates to print from) on what flavour of TIFF and whether to use and what kind of compression. Back when a 38MB graphics file was HUGE.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1