Nozzle external cleaning

OlivierV

Posted · Nozzle external cleaning

Hello,

I have a UM3, it prints perfectly but a ton of plastics gets glue on the external conical surface of my nozzles.

How can I avoid that some plastic goes backward / twist to that surface?

If it is not possible, what would you suggest to easily clean this surface?

At one point it gets so dirty that a big pile of plastic prevent the printing to be accurate.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I get some of that but not a lot. It's only a problem for me with white filament where you occasionally get a brown spot in the model when it drips off the nozzle.

You could try a 3dsolex print core with an ICE nozzle. The ICE coating should keep any filament from sticking to the nozzle. I'm not sure if this solution is worth the cost though.

I find it's easiest to clean the nozzle by heating to about 175C (150C is hot enough also) and then just wiping it off with paper napkin/tissue. Even the black gunk comes off. Don't apply huge forces (don't use tools) as you can break the core at the delicate heat break. Normal finger forces should be fine.

Posted (edited) · Nozzle external cleaning

I usually scratch it off with my fingernail. You can also remove the silicon ring from the core and brush the nozzle with a BRASS brush (not steel!).

Edited by Guest

I get some of that but not a lot.  It's only a problem for me with white filament where you occasionally get a brown spot in the model when it drips off the nozzle.

You could try a 3dsolex print core with an ICE nozzle.  The ICE coating should keep any filament from sticking to the nozzle.  I'm not sure if this solution is worth the cost though.

I find it's easiest to clean the nozzle by heating to about 175C (150C is hot enough also) and then just wiping it off with paper napkin/tissue.  Even the black gunk comes off.  Don't apply huge forces (don't use tools) as you can break the core at the delicate heat break.  Normal finger forces should be fine.

Thank you gr5. :)

I will see if I can dig a budget for a 3dsolex print core with an ICE nozzle.

Is it possible to put an ICE nozzle on my classic ultimaker printcore?

I think that the nozzle cannot be removed from an UM printcore. Is that correct?

Before having this great upgrade I will heat my nozzle at 175°C and gently use a tissue to clean it. ;)

I usually scratch it off with my fingernail. You can also remove the silicon ring from the core and brush the nozzle with a BRASS brush (not steel!).

Thank you Dim3nsioneer :) does a BRASS brush can scratch the nozzle?

It might become a bit matt with time but there should not be deep scratches which could affect print quality.

Ok perfect Thank you ! :)

I think that the nozzle cannot be removed from an UM printcore. Is that correct?

You are correct that you have to also buy the hardcore printcore from 3dsolex. So it's a big expense for just getting the ice coating. I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. On the other hand if you were thinking about buying a .8mm core anyway then you can save your money and get the 3dsolex and get other nozzle sizes: .25 .4 .6 .8. I sell 3dsolex products in USA so I am a bit biased.

You are correct that you have to also buy the hardcore printcore from 3dsolex. So it's a big expense for just getting the ice coating.  I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.  On the other hand if you were thinking about buying a .8mm core anyway then you can save your money and get the 3dsolex and get other nozzle sizes: .25 .4 .6 .8.  I sell 3dsolex products in USA so I am a bit biased.

Thank you for your answer gr5.

With the 3dsolex printcore, because you can remove the nozzle it should be easier to clean.

Can you then drop your nozzles in Acetone or any other chemical product that will melt the plastic?

Or will it damage the nozzle?

Um. Email sales _at_ 3dsolex.com to find out about if acetone will hurt ICE coating. I don't know. But it won't hurt non-ICE nozzles as I have used acetone before. I find it easier to heat a nozzle over a gas flame. I put a drop of water on it, then heat in flame and count how many seconds until water is boiled away (about 8) then wait the same amount of time additionally and then remove from heat and use paper towels and wooden toothpicks.

sometimes I have a piece of filament handy as well to test the nozzle with. And a needle.

Sometimes I just burn it to 500C or so and turn all that plastic to carbon.

But yes you should be able to soak it for a few hours in acetone as well.

Um.  Email sales _at_ 3dsolex.com to find out about if acetone will hurt ICE coating.  I don't know.  But it won't hurt non-ICE nozzles as I have used acetone before.  I find it easier to heat a nozzle over a gas flame.  I put a drop of water on it, then heat in flame and count how many seconds until water is boiled away (about 8)then wait the same amount of time additionally and then remove from heat and use paper towels and wooden toothpicks.  

sometimes I have a piece of filament handy as well to test the nozzle with.  And a needle.

Sometimes I just burn it to 500C or so and turn all that plastic to carbon.

But yes you should be able to soak it for a few hours in acetone as well.

Thank you for this answer. It is very clear. :)