Smoothing PLA with nail remover

emferon

Posted (edited) · Smoothing PLA with nail remover

Hi all,

I tried to smooth PLA with nail polish remover of my wife. I was surprised of the nice result obtained so easily.

Composition of the nail polish remover:

- Ethyl acetate

- Alcohol

- Water

- Polysorbate 80

- Cetyl acetate

- Oleyl acetate

- Searyl acetate

- Acetytaled lanolin alcohol

I just leave the pieces to smooth a couple of minutes (5-10) in a jar on the heated bed of my printer at 70 deg.

Surface becomes smooth and glossy.

I hope it will work for you as for me,

Best regards,

Emi

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted (edited) · Smoothing PLA with nail remover

Noted, but I've tried A LOT of nail varnish removers... in the UK forget it, in the states maybe seeing as nail varnish remover tends to be 99% acetone. So if this nail varnish remover does anything then it must either be very high in acetone, or has other chemicals that do the job. Many things I have found smooth PLA, but its the AFTER period which is the time when things split or shrink. I have no issues with acetone, other than warping on thin surfaces but then again anything that smooths will warp, its the nature of the beast. Acetone alone will give good results and I can almost guarantee that it will be cheaper than anything else.

But then again what my idea and someone else's idea of smooth could be very different.

....Why no photos??? If its so good. show me. Lol.

But I always try to explain in my hysteria over acetone, that post work is essential for a perfect result. But not very much, thats the whole point. Sticking something into a vapour chamber will give poor results compared to a controlled dip or a specified brush application on delicate parts.

I am in the middle of a Galvanising Tutorial, but my work hours changed half way and have not had the time to finish it. I have the next two days free, I may try a methyl chloride and acetone mix to see what happens seeing as I've not see anyone posting results.

But yes.....as always, we all want to see close up macro photos of detailed areas if possible!

Vapour will make it shiny, that does not necesarily mean smooth. Smooth means if you gloss it afterwards, then the reflections are also smooth and uniform, not blobby and distorted.

Either way post a picture.....at your own peril. I expect near perfection, otherwise I have my own effortless techniques that garner me the results I require. Currently I need a new coupler and have to install the old nozzle for maximum quality as the OB is slightly less sharp when compare to my old nozzle as its larger and holds a bit too much heat for my liking. Thinking of getting those smoothers as well, as after a dip, those lines are all I see.

As usual, sorry for the long rant....

P.S. You also forgot to name the brand of Nail varnish remover, seeing as I doubt people are going to get the individual chemicals and mix it up themselves. lol.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Smoothing PLA with nail remover
    I am in the middle of a Galvanising Tutorial, but my work hours changed half way and have not had the time to finish it. I have the next two days free, I may try a methyl chloride and acetone mix to see what happens seeing as I've not see anyone posting results.

That will be interesting......

Posted · Smoothing PLA with nail remover

I have lacquer thinner, enamel thinner and acetone and will be doing experiments myself and posting pics as soon as I can get a space that will not endanger my health and such. Not too far off. I may try brushing them on failed prints just to see what happens and different filament types just to round out the 'science aspect' of things.