How do I get Cura to print a test strip before starting the actual print?

kennyjeffris

Posted · How do I get Cura to print a test strip before starting the actual print?

Many slicing softwares, including cura type a, include a test strip before starting the actual print, which is really nice because it ensures material is coming out right away. Is there a way to enable that with the software?

Posted · How do I get Cura to print a test strip before starting the actual print?

Hi and Welcome,

I don't know what version you are referring to but if you print a skirt (you can find this under platform adhesion in Cura 2.xx) then it will print one or more lines outside of the actual model, i guess this can be considered as a test strip and ensures that the print head is actually spitting out filament.

Usually the print head is priming enough but this depends on your printer and start.gcode

• Like 1

If you print 4 or 5 "skirt" lines around the object, this also allows you to verify and if necessary fine-tune the distance between nozzle and print bed (at least on UM2 printers, I don't know if this still applies to UM3).

• 2 years later...
    Posted (edited) · How do I get Cura to print a test strip before starting the actual print?

Well im a few years late but I know this is the solution to the original problem and hope it helps someone. Once Cura starts up fallow the below tabs is that doesn't make sense I attached a photo too.

ONCE YOUR IN CURA

Preferences > Configure CuraSettings > Build Plate Adhesion > Extruder Prime X Position OR Extruder Prime Y Position, you can also turn the blob at the end off or on as well in that same area. 😃

cura prime.PNG

Edited by jeremyfiller1986
    Typo
    • Like 3
    • Thanks 1