Terrible noise and unsuable printer

neo-ninja

Posted · Terrible noise and unsuable printer

Hi Everyone,

My second printer has now packed in. When I go to print something something very strange is happening with the print head. It moves ok in the x axis but not the y axis.

All pulleys are tight.

I have swapped the x and y motor on the board and both motors are fine.

I have swapped the switches on the board and both work fine.

When off the head moves very freely around.

I am really stumped as to what is causing the issue.

Here is two videos that give you an idea of what is happening. Its almost like the y axis motor is jumping back and forward erratically.

Please help as I now have two machines out of service.

it looks like a problem with the micro switch at the back left (its fixed to the top of the printer by two screws)

Have you recently dis assembled the machine,maybe its become disconnected from the mother board ? Its not to difficult to replace, you can test its function with a simple electrical meter

you should be able to hear it click when you move the head manually to the left side of the machine

Posted (edited) · Terrible noise and unsuable printer

I would check

Endstop, like @stu_le_brew suggested. Move the head manually and check they do ‘click’. Maybe the metal of the endstop it’s bend and with care that’s easy to fix.

The central smooth rods, the Left to right one, does it scratch the panels inside? You should be able to push/pull it if that’s so.

When was the last time you did an oil/shafts maintenance?

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/150-lubricating-the-axles

Also make photos of the inside, the endstops are located near the bottom left corne. Also with the machine off, move the head and try to locate where the friction is coming from.

Edited by Guest

I would check

Endstop, like @stu_le_brew suggested. Move the head manually and check they do ‘click’. Maybe the metal of the endstop it’s bend and with care that’s easy to fix.

The central smooth rods, the Left to right one, does it scratch the panels inside? You should be able to push/pull it if that’s so.

Also make photos of the inside, the endstops are located  near the bottom left corne. Also with the machine off, move the head and try to locate where the friction is coming from.

Both switches look fine, in one of the videos i am testing the x switch to show you what happens. But i have swapped the switches on the board to see if it swaps the issue to the other axis and there is still a problem.

I would check

Also make photos of the inside, the endstops are located  near the bottom left corne. Also with the machine off, move the head and try to locate where the friction is coming from.

Both switches look fine, in one of the videos i am testing the x switch to show you what happens. But i have swapped the switches on the board to see if it swaps the issue to the other axis and there is still a problem.

Have you check the metal of the endstops or the other things I said like oil or the central shafts hitting the frame?

Also, on both videos the ugly sound it's the motor keep going without hitting the endstop, on the second video it hits it once, but fails to do the slow approach. I doubt it's the cable but the metal of the endstop or a bad solder on the endstop itself moving and loosing contact.

You changed the endstops, removed them from their positions, and changed the connector. Well then you are a handy guy, but mind that the endstops of the um2 one is longer (the metal) than the other, so it might hit/miss sometimes.

An example of what I mean is that, for example this umo+ user had a wrong endstop on his machine, and it did that noise because sometimes it did hit, and sometimes it did miss.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21468-loud-noise-from-z-motor-while-leveling-umo

As you can see, it can hit, and it can miss. It's the metal, or the position, or the cable. Please make photos of the endstops, or a close up video homing X recording what happens on the endstop, and the same with the Y. But manually with the machine off. No need to do it with it on, unless it's a solder problem on the endstop, also doing the miss-hit-home will cause stress to the machine and the motors.

For some reason my message didnt post.

I have through a process of unplugging them from the board elimination determined that both switches and both motors work fine. Actually is the Y Motor input on the board that there is an issue with.

Any ideas on how to solve that or is a new board needed?

For some reason my message didnt post.

I have through a process of unplugging them from the board elimination determined that both switches and both motors work fine. Actually is the Y Motor input on the board that there is an issue with.

Any ideas on how to solve that or is a new board needed?

You could change the gcode flavor to reprap or marlin reprap volumetric @tinkergnome knows exactly which (I don’t use um2) and the manually set the head to 0,0 and change the start gcode to only home the Z... I mean is cheaper than a 300€ board ofc china boards (I have 2 on bags) do work but sometimes don’t.

This way you don’t need the x/y endstops

Also, apart of the endstop itself working. I would check if the cables when they go in they stay ‘in’ the crimp, maybe it’s just something silly? I suppose someone on the forum with electrical knowhow might know how to check if the endstop are actually sending the right V to be sure is that.

Also just in case as absurd as it can seem. Update the firmware? Dunno, just ideas