100% Infill Settings

BrucePMCC

Posted · 100% Infill Settings

Hi everyone,

I am working on a project for work, where we will need to print at 100% infill to ensure a density equivalent to that of human tissue.

I am just starting off with the UM3+, so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience printing at 100% infill with PLA and/or ABS: and what settings you used.

Thank you!

hiya,

I don't often do but I normally use line or zig zag for the pattern. If my layer height is 0.1mm then I set the infill layer hight to 0.2mm.

I also make sure that the line width isn't too far off the nozzle width for infill.

and lastly I have about 3 line wall width.

hope this is helpfull.

bex

Note that in Cura, if you set the infill to 100%, it will actually not print infill but it will print everything as if it were a top layer. So infill settings such as infill speed will not work, and I think if you have ironing enabled it will iron everything.

• Like 1

NB: if you restore the number of bottom layers (I think I was wrong about the top layers) to a normal amount, you will get "true" 100% infill. The disadvantage of having a "true" 100% infill is that you can get some separation between the shell and the infill. When printing everything as the (bottom) shell, it is all printed the same way.

Final note: 100% infill is not always the strongest or best quality. If you overextrude by just a little bit, that will quickly add up with 100% infill. With a lower % of infill, the overextruded material has somewhere to go.

There can also be issues with cooling with high amounts of infill; you are not only putting more material on the print, but also more heat. On the other hand printing a layer is going to take a long time, so there should be time to cool. But shrinking/warping while cooling is also something that is affected by the amount of material.

Experiment and thou shalt know.

Hi Guys,

Due to the IT department wanting to unify 3d printing software across all sites, I am working with S3D. (sorry should have mentioned at the start)

I will try using those settings in S3D, but is there any S3D specific things I should know?

Thanks!

in S3D I use 2 bottom layers and 3 top layers.

at 0.1mm layer height I used infill every 2 layers.

100% extrusion

50mm/sec

what material you using?

do you need support?

if so I have a FFF file for UM3 with edited script for the change nozzle, heat and heat standby. as I found it doesn't wait to heat the nozzle before printing.

Hi Rebekah,

Yes please! That would definitely help!

Going with PLA for now, and that will likely be the main material I will be printing with.

in S3D I use 2 bottom layers and 3 top layers.

at 0.1mm layer height I used infill every 2 layers.

100% extrusion

50mm/sec

what material you using?

do you need support?

if so I have a FFF file for UM3 with edited script for the change nozzle, heat and heat standby.  as I found it doesn't wait to heat the nozzle before printing.

Hiya,

here is the FFF. should be available to download. check the tool change in the script tab. it does pause for a while when changing tools but that's because it doesn't predict the change and hence, unlike cura, doesn't heat up the print core before the tool change takes place.

S3D FFF file

let me know if it downloads ok. if it doesn't I'll copy the script for you to put into the script tab.

Bex