Replacement Hotend?

Posted (edited) · Replacement Hotend?

After a failed print (it was left unattended for a few hours and didnt stick to the bed) I had to do some serious cleaning/sanding/wirebrushing on some of the hot end parts for my Ultimaker 2+.  At the end of the day I got everything working, but its not pretty (and I almost threw in the towel a few times).

All this is to say that I tried just looking for replacement parts (Olsen Block, Heater, Thermistor, Nozzle, and Couplers) and had a hard time finding a store that sold quality versions of all of these.  I did find a lot of cheap knock offs, but I worry about the quality of those.  I did find all of the parts I would want at one store: thegr5store, but the total cost of everything was not really in the realm of a "failed print, replace parts" mindset.

Obviously the official Ultimaker parts are going to be relatively expensive, so this has me wondering if another hot end (say the V6) would be a better.

I have seen various comparisons and upgrade kits, but these are all going from an Ultimaker 2, so the comparison isn't really fair to an UM2+, and its replacing parts (like the extruder) that I would rather not replace unless the ones in the kits are actually better than the UM2+ version.

To my questions:  Is the V6 an upgrade for the UM2+?  A downgrade?  More or less the same?  Is there up to date information for the installation (I found an older UM2 upgrade kit walkthrough but thats it).  Is there another hot end that might be better suited?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

First why would you have to replace everything if you did a good cleaning? can't imaging you broke all parts?

the E3DV6 vs UM2+Olssonblock choice is a simple decision, the V6 is a huge downgrade imho. Changing nozzles on a V6 is super annoying vs the ease of an olssonblock.

The E3DV6 can be very confusing, as there are multiple version around. The full metal 2,85 version is a pain to use with PLA (again imho). The only reason I would consider a V6 is for an experimental setup for high temp materials.

Probably the nicest upgrade would be to use a head with a single UM3 CORE. I made a first version a long time ago as a proof of concept. I expect more versions to pop up once the UM3 design files will be released next week.

Edited by Guest

First why would you have to replace everything if you did a good cleaning? can't imaging you broke all parts?

I don't think you quite understand the situation.  Melted filament got everywhere on the metal parts of the hot end.  In every crack, gap and hole there is.  After heating up the Olson block to pull what filament I could off it it, I had to use a torch to melt/burn the rest of the filament off.  Even doing that didn't quite get all of the filament (there are still spots that I just could not get into with the torch, wire brush, or fine grit sand paper to clean it up).  

I cleaned it up pretty good considering the situation it was in, and it functions, but its not pretty.  I used a wire brush and fine grit sand paper to get what glue/char that I could, but even after that most of the parts are discolored because of the high heat from the torch.  Most of this is hidden behind the fan shroud, sure, but I would like to replace the parts anyway.  Not only for aesthetics, but because its difficult to remove the Olson block, the metal coupler, and the nozzle unless its at full temperature because all of the threads have just a little bit of filament or char on them that I just cannot clean off.   This is even worse for the Heater and Thermistor since I cannot remove those unless its at full temperature, but once I remove them from the Olson block, they go crazy because the Thermistor is no longer reporting the actual temperature of the heater because they are separate.

Changing nozzles on a V6 is super annoying vs the ease of an olssonblock.

The only time I ever change a nozzle is when there is a problem, so I am not too worried about this.

The full metal 2,85 version is a pain to use with PLA (again imho)

Why is it a pain? Can you elaborate?

Probably the nicest upgrade would be to use a head with a single UM3 CORE.

I am only really interested in the UM3 Cores if someone manages to make a UM3 print head that can attach to the UM2+. Are there other compatible aftermarket hot ends that are as good as the UM2+ one?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Replacement Hotend?

Probably the nicest upgrade would be to use a head with a single UM3 CORE.

I am only really interested in the UM3 Cores if someone manages to make a UM3 print head that can attach to the UM2+.  Are there other compatible aftermarket hot ends that are as good as the UM2+ one?

I'm assuming this is what he means, when the UM3 design files will be available, people will modify the designs and enable mounting UM3 head on UM2's and UMO's.

There are already people who have done this on UM2's but out of respect for Ultimaker hold off releasing the files until the design files are officially released.

Are there other compatible aftermarket hot ends that are as good as the UM2+ one?

Both my UMO and UM2 Go uses 3DSolex hotends and nozzles, check out their website and read on the parts they offer, their nozzles might have better heat transfer when mathced with their heaterblock, also their nozzles splits the filament in the beginning of the heating process and its claimed its melting the plastic faster and more evenly.

I'm assuming this is what he means, when the UM3 design files will be available, people will modify the designs and enable mounting UM3 head on UM2's and UMO's.

There are already people who have done this on UM2's but out of respect for Ultimaker hold off releasing the files until the design files are officially released.

This would be amazing.

Both my UMO and UM2 Go uses 3DSolex hotends and nozzles, check out their website and read on the parts they offer, their nozzles might have better heat transfer when mathced with their heaterblock, also their nozzles splits the filament in the beginning of the heating process and its claimed its melting the plastic faster and more evenly.

I will look at these, thanks!