Issues with base layers

InnesOWAL

Posted · Issues with base layers

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone could help me with an issue I'm having with my Ultimaker 2+

I've been trying a few techniques to get a good print but I'm having a few issues with warping. The material I'm using is PLA and its being printed on a clear glass plate. I've been cleaning the glass before each print.

1. This was printed on a raft, with a bed heat of 60dg, as you can see from the image the bottom layers have warped and leave an unwanted finish - I'm wanting this to be flush with a flat surface.

2.thumb.JPG.317a91494cf8f11b1688cb431f94f60b.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.1cbee4ade6ee729bd831ba9baf7f996b.JPG

2. This was printed with a 12mm brim with a bed heat of 60dg - as can be seen in the photos the base layer is flush aside from the corners - where it has warped significantly.

4.thumb.JPG.3192c7a29c6b52ed551837d65b4748ea.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.a62b7e23a85683ac95782d1eb275b42d.JPG

Does anyone have a solution for either of these? Or a different method to try?

Thanks for your help!

Innes

2.thumb.JPG.317a91494cf8f11b1688cb431f94f60b.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.1cbee4ade6ee729bd831ba9baf7f996b.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.3192c7a29c6b52ed551837d65b4748ea.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.a62b7e23a85683ac95782d1eb275b42d.JPG

Posted (edited) · Issues with base layers

Why not try Geert's saltwater plate preparation. Since starting to use that I've not had a single problem with warping or lifting. First get any trace of grease off the plate with isopropyl alcohol and a small pad of clean fuzz-free paper towel.

Mix up a solution of plain salt and water in a clean glass container. It does not need to be so concentrated that un-dissolved salt crystals remain on the bottom of the container. Using another paper towel gently rub the salt solution on the plate in light, even strokes. No pressure needed and you definitely don't want any more than a thin salt film - like breathing on glass. When dry, proceed with printing.

I've just finished a run of 4 printings with the same salt layer. PLA @ 210C and 60C.

NOTE: Geert's saltwater method only works with PLA at the moment.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · Issues with base layers

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate the help!

Nzo - I'll give that a try.

The print parameters are as follows;

Print Head Temp: 210dgc

Initial Layer Speed: 30mm/s

Print Speed: 50mm/s

Layer Height: 0.1mm

Travel Speed: 120mm/s

Wall Thickness: 1.05mm

Top / Bottom Thickness: 1mm

Fan cooling is enabled, at:

Regular Fan Speed: 100%

Regular Fan Speed at Height: 0.27mm