CuraEngine.exe from the command line - slicing - UM3

jeromechrist

Posted (edited) · CuraEngine.exe from the command line - slicing - UM3

Hey,

I'm trying to get a GCODE from a STL via invoking CuraEngine.exe.

From cura.log i can see that it's sending a whole bunch of parameters to a socket instead of the command line and returns all the settings value.

I could copy/paste all these parameters but it's way too long for Windows and hit the limit of args for a process.

I also see that it's using fdmprinter.def.json instead of ultimaker3.def.json.

I've tried doing this :

CuraEngine.exe slice -v -j "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.0\resources\definitions\ultimaker3.def.json" -s material_bed_temperature_layer_0="80" -s material_print_temperature_layer_0="235" -s layer_height="0.1" -s layer_height_0="0.27" -s material_diameter="2.85" -e0 -l "C:\Users\***\Desktop\cura\screw.stl" -o "C:\Users\****\Desktop\cura\test.gcode"

But the generated GCODE is pretty different from the one generated by CURA (the UI) ~20k more lines in the one generated by CURA.

Is there a simple way to generate a GCODE equivalent as CURA for the ultimaker 3 for a preset like ABS - Fine - no support - generate build plate adhesion - using CuraEngine.exe ?

Thank you.

Edited by Guest

Posted · CuraEngine.exe from the command line - slicing - UM3
    I could copy/paste all these parameters but it's way too long for Windows and hit the limit of args for a process.

That's pretty much why Cura does not use the command line, and instead uses that socket.

What you could do is create a .def.json file that contains all the values you see being sent to CuraEngine as default_value (in addition to what's in ultimaker3.def.json).

• Like 2

That's pretty much why Cura does not use the command line, and instead uses that socket.

What you could do is create a .def.json file that contains all the values you see being sent to CuraEngine as default_value (in addition to what's in ultimaker3.def.json).

I guess that could work if i can create a definition that inherits ultimaker3.def.json with the extra values.

Edited by Guest

The json file references per-extruder json files. Create your own per-extruder json files, based on the UM3 extruder files, and add your settings.

NB: I never run curaengine from the command line myself, so I don't know if this will work.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Almost there.

The gcode produced has invalid headers :

;START_OF_HEADER
    ;HEADER_VERSION:0.1
    ;FLAVOR:Griffin
    ;GENERATOR.NAME:Cura_SteamEngine
    ;GENERATOR.VERSION:3.0.4
    ;GENERATOR.BUILD_DATE:2017-10-31
    ;TARGET_MACHINE.NAME:Ultimaker 3
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:235
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.NAME:AA 0.4
    ;BUILD_PLATE.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:80
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.X:2.14748e+006
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Y:2.14748e+006
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Z:2.14748e+006
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.X:-2.14748e+006
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Y:-2.14748e+006
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Z:-2.14748e+006
    ;END_OF_HEADER

this is from the file with -o, what is weird is the output from the console has the correct values :

;START_OF_HEADER
    ;HEADER_VERSION:0.1
    ;FLAVOR:Griffin
    ;GENERATOR.NAME:Cura_SteamEngine
    ;GENERATOR.VERSION:3.0.4
    ;GENERATOR.BUILD_DATE:2017-10-31
    ;TARGET_MACHINE.NAME:Ultimaker 3
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:235
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.VOLUME_USED:813
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.GUID:60636bb4-518f-42e7-8237-fe77b194ebe0
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.NAME:AA 0.4
    ;BUILD_PLATE.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:80
    ;PRINT.TIME:999
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.X:9
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Y:6
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Z:0.27
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.X:130.787
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Y:121.784
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Z:5.97
    ;END_OF_HEADER

How do i get the correct headers in the file ?

The Cura front end fixes the headers for normal prints (not the engine), so this might be a situation of the command line never being used so that part might be broken without anybody noticing...

The Cura front end fixes the headers for normal prints (not the engine), so this might be a situation of the command line never being used so that part might be broken without anybody noticing...

Well I noticed :D I've added an issue in the github repo : https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/issues/660

Anyway, i'm now able to generate a gcode for differents settings, thanks for the guidance on this.

Hopefully this gets fixed so we can fully automate the slicing for UM3 with the command line.

Anyway, i'm now able to generate a gcode for differents settings, thanks for the guidance on this.

Hello, Did you created it manually with tons of parameters to set, or did you find a trick to generate if from Cura ?

One more bit of info. If you invoke CuraEngine with the "-v" parameter, you'll get a valid header *after* slicing. I had the same issue and wrote a script to process the gcode after slicing to cut the header off and insert the new one.

If I try capturing the output from the command-line with -v parameter, the valid header *after* slicing is not caught. Although the valid header is displayed on the screen, the captured output contains output only till the "END of Gcode". How could I get the valid header details after running the command.

Edited by Devang

never mind....

It seems silly that I can't delete a post, but I was incorrect.

Edited by robinmdh

@Devang You could capture stdout and parse the header and cut it out. That‘s what I did back then. 

Thanks @Nikolinux ,it seems the final header is coming in the stderr instead of the stdout, and I was trying to capture it through the stdout.