First layers print problem

Suriada

Posted · First layers print problem

Hello,

I would like some expert advice. I am using ultimaker 2+ for work. I am having issues with the first layers of the print. I already re-leveled the plate. Cleaned the plate and the last one I started using glue. I have also added a brim (which is difficult because the print needs to be 200 x 200, so brim bigger than 2.0mm not enough space on the build plate).

It seems that the first layer or maybe two go well, but after that something happens and it goes wrong from there on.

I am using PLA (210/60®)

0.4 nozzle

Left the rest of setting to default, because not sure what needs to be changed in order to get this right. The walls on the drawing are 1.2 mm.

Hope somebody can help me in the right direction.

5a334127462ae_Lastprint22November.thumb.jpg.9228087c296ff203e18b95f0a2fc0300.jpg

Hi and welcome,

I would say that you can maybe level your plate a tiny bit higher (closer to the nozzle). And i you apply glue or something make sure you apply it smoothly on the whole area.

You can also print the first layer a bit hotter, by the way what is the first layer height?

Hi, Thanks!

I have leveled the build plate closer and did a test print with a smaller object,. that went fine.

I'm using layer height 0.06 and initial layer height 0.27 mm, all line width at 0.4 Would you suggest to change? Also should I change the print speed? I left it at 50 mm/s.

Thanks again!

The thing I have found when learning this setup is:

A) There is the mechanical such as buildplate leveling, what you use for adhesion, things that are tangible.

B) Software controls. And, this is a different animal.

Once you know your mechanical issues are solved, and they seem to be, I would suggest printing a lot of small things of different types to find what setting work for you.

I have found it is not a one and done for everyone. It seems that variances in filament manufacturers, colors and even environment can have a major influence. For instance, you are in Indonesia. That is a lot more humid and hot than here in New York. Take what people offer as a guide and then have fun seeing what works for you.

And, starting out I would suggest calibration or overhang tests such as these to start with. It will provide a set of varying geometries that can pinpoint things or limits or the printer.

And, start with the basic presets and then make adjustments on one setting at a time so that you can track what is actually changing.

The overhang tests may seem a bit silly, but they really helped me learn a lot about things you read about such as bridging, size of positive and negative details such as type and just what you may be needing for something you are going to print.

For instance, I can get a good top layer (if it is thick enough) up to 85°, but the bottom layer really is trashy. Not a problem on the inside if it is not seen. I round my printer can do 60° - 65° pretty nicely. This also let me know the limits of supports I may or may not need on any given print.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I have now changed the model a bit (seemed like the stars weren't connecting properly) and started printing with print speed 40, the print is halfway and it all looks alright so far. 11 hours to go to find out if the top layers are good to :)

And yes it is very humid here, thinking of buying a filament dryer for the PLA.

What I see in this photo is common when you have a spot where the glass is too far from the nozzle. Just forget about the leveling procedure and instead turn the 3 leveling screws an equal amount counter clockwise to move the glass up closer to the nozzle. Turn by about 1/2 turn.

more details here: