Material Feeder Not Grabbing Filament

Posted · Material Feeder Not Grabbing Filament

I completed my assembly this weekend but having a problem with the material feeder.

It seems to finally feed when I stand there and press hard against the clamp so that the filament catches along the drive bolt. Without having to take it apart and redo, what am I missing? The large extruder gear is tight although the directions are vague about keeping it somewhat loose. I've tightened the spring loaded screw as tight as possible (without cracking the plastic). It just seems as if the wheel is not hitting against the filament properly or my drive bolt is not correctly positioned (however I checked this and it seems that the "good part" is against the filament. Thanks!

I found that the locking mechanism took a little figuring out. Perhaps you can post some photos of your assembly showing it in the locked position and the locking mechanism in clear view.

Glad you got it figured out, it can be a little tricky at first. For anyone else finding this topic, and having problems, here's a video someone posted that shows how it works...

However, I recommend not using the UltiController to advance the filament - it can push it too quickly, and cause problems. Instead, just turn the big gear wheel by hand... it's hard to turn it faster than the nozzle can keep up with, and you can get a good feel for the resistance that builds up in the head if you do try to go too fast, and so can slow down a bit.

I noticed that my large gear is slightly loose and there is some play in between the gear and washers.I should tighten this a bit more, but was confused as to how much. I do remember the guide saying not to bolt the mounting plates too tight. I my case they do indeed seem pretty tight.

IMG 1875IMG 1876IMG 1877IMG 1878IMG 1879IMG 1880IMG 1881

By pushing the hinged clamp forward, it seems to grab. However if I let go it will not push the filament properly.

Watch the video at 35 to 38 seconds in. Does your locking pin slide down the slot as it does in the video? In all your pictures the locking pin is not engaged.

Also does the spring compress a little when you close the feeder? The closed/compressed spring should be about 11mm long. Mine is 11.5mm. Illuminatri's is 11mm.

Hi gr5, thank you, I think you just nailed it. The locking pin does slide down, but it's very loose and I negelected to adjust it so it can finally rest within the clamp while pushing forward. The closed/compressed spring was at about 13mm - I will adjust this to 11mm. I reviewed the video several times, but completely missed how far back you should push the slide into the bracket to compress everything together so that the black wheel pushes against the filament. I do feel compression when I close it and I'm sure once I can get it to 11-11.5mm this will help as well.

Measured my compression spring to 11 while using the clamp properly - works fine now! Thanks to all of your responses!