Ultimaker Original Plus Dual Extruder

Posted · Ultimaker Original Plus Dual Extruder

Hello everyone,

I have an UMO+ and I'd like to upgrade it so it has dual extruders. I've seen pictures and such online where people have successfully done this but can't find any information on it. I'm assuming Ultimaker doesn't have a kit for this, so it'd be something I do from scratch. Looking over the printer I noticed that the frame has an additional location to hang a filament feeder motor mount and the head assembly has an extra spot for another bowden tube, and a few other things as well. Does the controller that comes with the UMO+ have the capability to run an additional extruder? if so has anyone done this? Any info would be much appreciated.

I did scroll through a few pages of the forums but couldn't find any related topics.

Thanks,

Christian

There was an experimental dual extrusion kit for the UMO (not +) it will not work on the UMO+ as the power supply is not strong enough if i remember well.

You might want to have a look at the magnetic tool changer and adapt it to your machine i think it's doable (or maybe done already?)

https://magnetic-tool-changer.com

Hello Christian,

i'm working on a prototype the Dual Balance and it's works on the ultimaker original and ultimaker 2, 2+ and 2go and it's possible to assembly this system on other printer who have a compatible board to control the second extruder.

4_bowden_support_connecteur_3.thumb.jpg.888115c27c70afe0e7077bc0cef35ded.jpg

But this is a prototype and not a commercial solution. You can find some details about the things what i have succeeded to print it with SCAFFOLD water-soluble PVA Wire to folow this link:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/prints/38361-the-scraffold-water-soluble-pva-wire-and-poly-plus-pla

About the firmware, you can modify it in order to declare the second extruder as

"#define EXTRUDERS 1" to "#define EXTRUDERS 2"

This line is in the "configuartion.h" file in the firmware source code:

// This defines the number of extruders

#ifndef EXTRUDERS

#define EXTRUDERS 2

#endif

You can find all the information about this marlin firmware to this web page

http://marlinfw.org/docs/basics/introduction.html

With some information about your printer, If you want, i can compile this firmware for you in order to have a dual extruder firmware on your ultimaker original.

My prototype does not need to add other electronic cards or actuator to operate.

I guess my prototype will be totally finished in 1 month, if you want and if you are favorable, I can send it to you for beta testing?

I hope I have brought you some answers.

• Like 1

Hello Christian,

i'm working on a prototype the Dual Balance and it's works on the ultimaker original and ultimaker 2, 2+ and 2go and it's possible to assembly this system on other printer who have a compatible board to control the second extruder.

4_bowden_support_connecteur_3.thumb.jpg.888115c27c70afe0e7077bc0cef35ded.jpg

But this is a prototype and not a commercial solution. You can find some details about the things what i have succeeded to print it with SCAFFOLD water-soluble PVA Wire to folow this link:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/prints/38361-the-scraffold-water-soluble-pva-wire-and-poly-plus-pla

About the firmware, you can modify it in order to declare the second extruder as

"#define EXTRUDERS 1" to "#define EXTRUDERS 2"

This line is in the "configuartion.h" file in the firmware source code:

// This defines the number of extruders

#ifndef EXTRUDERS

#define EXTRUDERS 2

#endif

You can find all the information about this marlin firmware to this web page

http://marlinfw.org/docs/basics/introduction.html

With some information about your printer, If you want, i can compile this firmware for you in order to have a dual extruder firmware on your ultimaker original.

My prototype does not need to add other electronic cards or actuator to operate.

I guess my prototype will be totally finished in 1 month, if you want and if you are favorable, I can send it to you for beta testing?

I hope I have brought you some answers.

Thank you for the input, you helped clear up a lot of my uncertainties.

I appreciate the offer to beta test your prototype. For now I will do what I can with what I have but I will definitely be sure to let you know if I change my mind.

I will also be sure to share if I am able to successfully add another extruder.

The one thing I don't understand is the UMO+ has many features that would allow for a second extruder such as hanger holes for a motor mount, a location on the print head for running additional wires and bowden tube, a second location for another nozzle, ect. I was surprised to find that Ultimaker did not sell an upgrade kit.

I doubt that it's something they are pursuing but I've been wrong before.

Good luck on your prototype. Thanks again,

Christian

Thanks,

maybe you can find some detail about a ultimaker upgrad kit who explain all the operation to change the header. this operation is the same if you want to had a second extruder on your machine with this link:

After the principale think is to control the plastic wire in order to ovoide the ooze of each nozzle.

And after, you will need to avoid to touch the first impression with the fisrt nozzle. to do this you can use un CURA 2.7 with one option to go down the table for the nozzle changment operation.

And the last is the control of the temperature in the head. You need to cool down more the head, that why i had change the head cover to put 2 others fans.

That why ultimaker3 change the Z position of the unused nozzle like my system Dual Balance.

Thanks,

maybe you can find some detail about a ultimaker upgrad kit who explain all the operation to change the header. this operation is the same if you want to had a second extruder on your machine with this link:

After the principale think is to control the plastic wire in order to ovoide the ooze of each nozzle.

And after, you will need to avoid to touch the first impression with the fisrt nozzle. to do this you can use un CURA 2.7 with one option to go down the table for the nozzle changment operation.

And the last is the control of the temperature in the head. You need to cool down more the head, that why i had change the head cover to put 2 others fans.

That why ultimaker3 change the Z position of the unused nozzle like my system Dual Balance.

Thankyou for finding this video, I'll be sure to watch it when I get home from work.

Best,

Christian

Check out some of the dual extrusion options E3D has come up with:

https://e3d-online.com/hotends/multi-extrusion

You will still need an extra feeder and possibly a stronger power supply to be able to heat two hotends...