Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
rebekah_harper

Internet connection to Printer

Hiya all,

I know this type of question has been asked before but I need some specific help.

I am on virgin media with the 3.0 hub, router.

I want to be able to connect to my printer from outside my home network but I am falling short and looking into this I am not able to find the info I need to set it up.

I understand that I need to connect to my router first like a VPN and then I should be able to use local network IP Addresses.

but I am not sure how I am able to do this.

I understand there are security risks but I would like to to this non the less.

many thanks

rebekah anderson

It's the easiest if you have a router that supports setting up a VPN, you need to check the router manual for that.

If your router does not support it (and you don't want to get a new one), you can use a raspberry pi instead, see here for a setup instruction;

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/39542-um3-remote-monitoring-raspberry-pi-vpn-tutorial

Oh, and I'm no network expert, but as far as I understand a VPN is pretty safe when you set it up yourself. Using a 3th party VPN service like some you can download for your smartphone can be questionable when you're not sure about this 3th party...

• Like 1