Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Link

Removing play from axles

my 2+ has some slight play in a couple of the axles, reading the guide its simple enough to remove by pushing the pulleys against the case and retightening. has anyone done this ?

The final part of the process involves using calibration sticks which are mentioned to ensure the print head is at 90deg to the axles, but I cannot see how the process will ensure this. the axles are fixed into the case in bearing housings which are built into the case, moving the pulleys on the axles won't have any affect on the position of the axles in the bearings, they will simply remove the movement fore and aft, I do see what the calibrations sticks are used. can anyone advise ?

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/50679-check-for-play-on-axles

The 4 main axles are fixed, as you say. But the 2 axles on which the printhead rides are not.

These two axles need to be parallel /perpendicular to the main axles. The calibration sticks help assure this. (This has nothing to do with moving the pulley laterally against the case; it helps turning the pulley on the shaft/axle into its proper position and locking it there.)