Models set into the base by a small amount

MartynB

Posted · Models set into the base by a small amount

Hi, hopefully somebody may be able to help with this but its driving me nuts. I am running the latest version (Cura 3.1.0) and have recently been noticing that my models are set into the build plate by a small amount. It is only a small amount, but I am getting flats on models where there shouldn’t be any. I am having to turn off ‘automatically drop models to build plate’ and adjust the model manually. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? I have included an image showing what I am getting, hopefully it is clear. This is not how I would actually print this part but shows well the section that is cutting into the build plate.

Cura1.jpg

It all has to do with how the program that generated the model and Cura interact concerning pivot points, I believe. It also may have to do with how the program is generating the geometry and then interpolating out to mesh if it using math instead of mesh for generation purposes.

Thanks for your reply. Not sure why this is just happening now though? I've never had this problem before. Surely Cura should just detect the edge of a model and with ‘automatically drop models to build plate’ switched on, sit the model on the build plate like it always used to?

Posted (edited) · Models set into the base by a small amount

I am not sure what sort of algorithms they are using to detect edges/vertices intersecting with the buildplate or if they tweak it between versions, or if some other code is creating a disturbance in the printforce. But I find it is a bit of a hit or miss situation. It definitely could use a bit of improvement. I am ultra anal about pivot points and 0 Zed locations of surfaces. My 3D packages do not work in math, but pure mesh generation, so, If I put something at 0 Zed, then it should stay at 0 Zed and not sink or float. Not always off, but enough to be annoying.

Edit: Just occurred to me that they may be using a bounding surface to generate the collision detection and that could be why it is a bit sloppy. It may not be true edge detection after all.

Edited by kmanstudios