New 3D models from CGTrader

Posted · New 3D models from CGTrader

Hi guys!

Dalia from CGTrader here. We have received quite a few new 3D models for 3D printing. I selected mostly free models to share with you but also added a couple of paid ones, perhaps some of them will catch your attention or provide ideas or inspiration :)

FREE MODELS

The Escape 3D model by othar - FREE

thumb_small_the_escape_3d_model_stl_ee4d0219-d6f7-4938-8287-e6ad7b19a897.jpg

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/character-people/fantasy/the-escape

FOK1 Restriction Enzyme 3D model by jencheng - FREE (I think you might need an SLS for this one, but please correct me if I am wrong!)

thumb_small_fok1_restriction_enzyme_3d_model_stl_c4f73d31-fced-4e0f-8a6d-7967b2bee9f4.jpg

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/science-medical/other/fok1-restriction-enzyme

Waiting V2 3D model by othar - FREE

thumb_small_waiting_v2_3d_model_stl_cff0729e-fe17-48c4-adfa-b741eaec3c06.jpg

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/character-people/fantasy/waiting-v2

Pet Toaster 3D model by vanalleswatontwerp - FREE

thumb_small_pet_toaster_3d_model_stl_0af06d30-c730-4dfb-8ace-18242662ae03.jpg

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/household/kitchenware/pet-toaster

Complete set of mechanical anatomically driven fingers 3D model by Robohand - FREE (a fascinating project if you have not seen it yet :) )

thumb_small_complete_set_of_mechanical_anatomically_driven_fingers_3d_model_stl_3d233880-e339-4d30-a4fc-ad5a555a78d0.jpg

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/character-people/other/complete-set-of-mechanical-anatomically-driven-fingers--2

The Huntress 3D model by othar - FREE

thumb_small_the_huntress_3d_model_stl_c9922319-cf75-4507-8504-05c225fa860a.jpg

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/character-people/fantasy/the-huntress

PAID MODELS

McEsher Ascending and Descening 3D building with optical ilusion 3D model by svivanco - USD 10.

thumb_small_mcesher_ascending_and_descening_3d_building_with_optical_ilusion_3d_model_ma_mb_27a9b099-33f5-4364-ad08-8638a9d3051d.jpg

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/architectural-exterior/landmark/mcesher-ascending-and-descening-3d-building-with-optical-ilusion

Ergonomic SprayGun 3D model by yvo_waldmeier - USD 30 (for the graffiti enthusiasts :) )

thumb_small_ergonomic_spraygun_3d_model_stl_dd28571e-f6d1-4a3c-aabb-b74ebce4a084.png

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/industrial/tool/ergonomic-spraygun

Pens Holder / Milk Splash 3D model by GrafxBOX - USD 15

thumb_small_pens_holder_3d_model_stl_5a1f2127-f0a4-4c15-8a79-446768c7bf19.jpg

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/furniture/misc-furniture/pens-holder-milk-splash

Hole thru a hole in a hole 3D model by Denali3Ddesign - USD 6

thumb_small_hole_thru_a_hole_in_a_hole_3d_model_stl_646b9939-ef9a-42f1-b022-4dc39836dedf.jpg

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/household/other/hole-thru-a-hole-in-a-hole

Any comments welcome!

I am not shure that this is the right way to promote your plattform.

You find a lot of this modells here too:

http://www.makershop.co/shop/fantasygraph

I am very confused about the prices. You have to pay for something and you can not be shure to print it correctly. Of course some modells are for free, but other are very expensive.

For printing objects make it like makerbot. Use a donate button or make it for free.

Zungara, thanks for your comment and the suggestion for pricing!

Yes, we probably still need to figure out the pricing and make sure the models are tested for printability to make it an attractive marketplace for printable models as well. I can see your point, there sometimes is variation in prices that is not very reasonable :) So we'll look into that and hopefully will make the system work better soon!

As much as I like to see info on some great objects to print, I find it disturbing this is just obvious promotion for the website.

just creating free adds.

if you want to promote your site, pay Ultimaker to put an add on the forum for you.

on the RPF site there is clear difference between normal members and vendors, it says "Vendor" in their sig on the left.

or make a separate part on the forum for vendors to show of their site.

I've seen a bunch of these threads and didn't want to fuel the fire by contributing additional attention to it mainly because it felt like a backdoor way to drive traffic for CG trader. And it just didn't feel right.. Just a lack of transparency.

That said it is a hugely different situation if you've asked them to contribute... I think it would have helped to have either a mini intro, or a dedicated thread to showcase what CG trader had to offer, so we know that it's a legitimate venue and partnership. Everyone would know where everyone stands, and we can all contribute openly with no feelings of hidden agendas. So I'm glad to know now that you asked them to participate.

Anyways, as per your question. I think its both inevitable and hugely appropriate to have both free and premium models for print. As an example, turbosquid & similar sites are hugely successful in selling user generated and priced models as well as offering free ones. Free market kinda takes over at some point, and premium models get better and better in quality (and price) and you end up with a nice range of free models that are hugely inconsistent, and hundred dollar models that are consistently amazing.

As a VFX guy, I've purchased $500+ models for production. and happy to do so. That's roughly equal to 2-5 junior artist work days, whereas the models at that range usually have the quality and detail of 8 or more artist days, and you get it instantly. Simple math, and everyone wins. (except possibly the junior artist) So long as it makes economic in both time and money, I believe it'll work.

Not that I'm suggesting 500 dollar models would sell well for printing right now... the environment is vastly different... But it's foreseeable that people would design, something for example, that breaks often, which would cost 15 dollars to replace, and 10 dollars shipping. Many (who do have printers) would gladly pay say 3-7 bucks for it and print it out instantly minus the cost of filament to save on the hassle to buy the thing at a store or ship it. Or, if it doesn't exist or the price is too high, I'd consider modeling it myself and putting it up for sale.

The biggest factor in premium models is quality and consistency. If you're paying for something, you expect a certain level of competence and quality. You don't want to buy a model for convenience, and have to troubleshoot it for longer than it takes to model it from scratch. Any premium model made for print that doesn't pass an STL check should automatically be rejected. Support material requirements should be seperated in catagories.

While thingieverse is great for free stuff. I've always had to adjust the model to some small degree. The market could benefit from a place that can get you print ready models free or for a small fee. That's guaranteed to work on a consumer level FDM printers. It would definitely cut down on the need for modeling skills, which I think is the current biggest barrier to mass acceptance of the technology besides the price and finikyness.

As for CG trader models. Some of the models are pretty cool, but many look like they're made by people who have no idea what the printing process is, or just labelled regular models as 'print' models hoping to sell more. This puts doubt into the quality of all of your models for 'print'. To be honest, with it's current offerings, I would probably visit thingieverse or turbosquid first. Thingieverse because they are print conscious and free, and turbosquid for quality and choice. But currently, there isn't a good place where the prints are garenteed hassle free to work for the 3D illiterate... I would strive for that direction.

My really long 2 cents.

I completely side with Valcrow.

please post some kind of info on the main site en forum, explaining why CG trader is here,

and in the future other vendors.

there is an apparent lack of control of the models posted on most of the websites, and that will create problems in the long run.

as I would not spend money on a 3D model not knowing if it is printable or not, or if I have to spend many hours making it printable.

one way is to make sure before posing on the site, that the model is printable, and I mean printable by hobby made or bought printers, not the expensive printers that can print everything without support.

I hope that all the sites will institute some kind of control the quality of the objects, and not just try to make a fast buck.

in the end the better quality sites will be left !

Alexander, thanks so much for clarifying! Just like you said, this is an experiment not only for you but for us as well, so apologies for the bumps along the way :)

Valcrow, Xeno, these are all great points. We also think that high quality 3D printable models will find their place in the market. While the market for 3D models that are used digitally is pretty much established by now and I might say almost self-policing, the 3D printable models on our site do vary a lot. We have not yet figured out how to test for printability and ensure that the customers have the best experience, but we're thinking about how to do it in near future.

If I am not asking too much and if you guys have time, what would be your advice for testing the printability of the models? Aside from STL checks, is printing the model the best and only way to actually test its printability? Would printing on Ultimaker be enough to give an idea on whether the model is printable, or would you expect the marketplace to certify the model by printing it out on various printers? Any other ideas or suggestions regarding the testing?

Thanks a lot for your feedback once again!

Alexander, thanks so much for clarifying! Just like you said, this is an experiment not only for you but for us as well, so apologies for the bumps along the way :)

Valcrow, Xeno, these are all great points. We also think that high quality 3D printable models will find their place in the market. While the market for 3D models that are used digitally is pretty much established by now and I might say almost self-policing, the 3D printable models on our site do vary a lot. We have not yet figured out how to test for printability and ensure that the customers have the best experience, but we're thinking about how to do it in near future.

If I am not asking too much and if you guys have time, what would be your advice for testing the printability of the models? Aside from STL checks, is printing the model the best and only way to actually test its printability? Would printing on Ultimaker be enough to give an idea on whether the model is printable, or would you expect the marketplace to certify the model by printing it out on various printers? Any other ideas or suggestions regarding the testing?

Thanks a lot for your feedback once again!

Hi Dalia

I think it would be prohibitive for CGTrader to print any models out but the designers should be printing them out and putting photos with there designs as well as the printer used, layer height, software used support used, heat bed and any other relevant settings. Maybe also a feedback from purchasers whether they printed it successfully or not which gave a printability rating to the model.

while printing the object on an Ultimaker would be a great way to see how printable the object is.

but the amount of objects that will be added to sites will be far greater in the future then you would have time to print it.

You could do a few checks:

-check if the object is a closed object

-when an object is loaded in Cura you can visualize the amount of overhang, and maybe calculate an overhang percentage.

-has the model been taken apart for more easy printing (arms, details, overhang parts)

-the amount of detail on the object

-is it cad drawn or scanned data.

and so on :)

It would be good for consumers to have a certification of sorts. like:

1. Print ready - tested either by your team or the producer of the model.

2. CURA checked (for overhangs, detail loss etc.) You'll need someone who has print experience to varify.

3. STL checked - watertight, no interpenetrations, etc.

Turbosquid has similar certifications for good modelers.

You can get the artists to ensure these requirements are met if you put out guidelines to follow and award certifications based on quality.. but will require some oversight to ensure that they actually do what they say they do.

I'm sure the contributing artists would want to go through the trouble to make it print ready and checked to optimize their chances of a sale. But only if everyone plays by the rules. Print ready really needs to mean print ready. And currently, it doesn't.

Owen, Xeno, Valcrow thanks so much! Very good ideas - I will discuss them with my team and see what we can do.

its kinda funny, handled corectly and with very clear objectives and integration with ultimaker, it would all be ok, but done half arsed and here and there, it actually builtds negative feeling towards this starting company... just interesting for anyone else thinking about using ultimaker as a promotional tool..... interesting :-)

3D printing is my hobby. I have no business to do with. I enjoy the result of my printings and show them other. For me i think there is a market buying 3d models. But i think the problem is, that if there is no busines you do not want to spend a lot of money for buying models you are not shure the print quality is good enough.

Example: I have printed the huntress. It is realy nice. The best print i have made. But if you give someone the printed huntress and ask him what he wants to pay for it, you wil l not get your money back you have to pay for the filament. There are some problems with the modell (End of the bow, arrows, typical overhangs) you will not be able to solve.

Conclusion:

1. I will only pay for a modell i am shure i get it printed with my "hobby" Ultimaker printer and my skills to adjust the printer are good enough.

2. the cost are very low (about 1 Euro) or i am able to deside after printing (donate)

3. a good printing description is helpful

Hello all..

i'm the modeler of the 'Huntress' (and of a lot of Cgtrader free REAL 3d print model) ... i just see this thread and i want to answer to the last post. i'm sorry that you got problem but ALL my model are printed on my solidoodle 2 (a very basic 3d printer... lot less good than an 'ultimaker') before i upload the file. I test print all of them to see if there is problem (you can see a photo of a test print for each of my models) . if I can print them, anybody can print them. So if there is an overhang, it's because it's not a problem if you follow my advice/ parameters that i give with each model :

all are printed with 0.2mm layer with 2 perimeters, with 0.35 nozzle and 1.75mm abs filament.

in general, people who have problems with my models are those who try to print too fast, change model scale or layer height or whose printers are poorly calibrated and i can do anything against that.

I honestly think we can't do much more for a model to be '3d print friendly' than I do ..

each model are tested in professional software for geometry error (materialise magic , deskartes 3data expert, netfabb basic)

each model are tested in generic hobby slicer (kisslicer and slic3r) in the last version when i test it

each model are printed numerous time for "proof of printability"

I can let pass some geometry error but if i do that, it's because it's not a problem for the final result.

now, i'm ready to add more test in my work chain (like add Cura in the slicer test) if you give me some advice...

thanks for reading..

@Othar:

First i want to say, that the huntress is a very nice model. Everyone i showed the model are very suprised about the quality that is possible. I have seen your pricture and i loved them.

As i wrote before 3d printing is an hobby and i will make no money with the results.

in general, people who have problems with my models are those who try to print too fast, change model scale or layer height or whose printers are poorly calibrated and i can do anything against that.

You are right i have skaled the model. I skaled it down to an high of 12 cm. Layer 0,06 1 perimeter. The result was in my eyes perfect, but not so perfect you will get in professional.

Your model are very good, very good described and documented. I love your concept of donation and when i print another modell from you i will donate! For me it is as sayed before importend to print first and than i will pay.