Question 3.2

mrSEADEMON

Posted (edited) · Question 3.2

When you make a old function "Split object into parts"?

I use this function and i need 2 version Cura to instal 15.04 and 3.2

but if this function work on Cura 3.2 i don't need instal v15. Thanks

Edited by mrSEADEMON

• 1 month later...
    Posted · Question 3.2

Hello Guys

I have a doubt about function "Split object into parts". 

I am using Cura version 3.2.1 and didn't find that function in this version. I would like to know where can I get it in Cura or there is it not?

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Question 3.2
    1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

That functionality is not (yet) available in Cura 3.2, nor will it be in Cura 3.3

Thanks!

Do you know what is last version with that functionality?

Edited by Rmassa

Posted · Question 3.2

15.04.something

Posted · Question 3.2

why is it not implemented seems like a much needed function that worked well in 15.4......

im guessing theres a logical explanation. meshmixer is saving the day but its a pain to have a useful feature removed

Posted · Question 3.2

.. and it's not in 3.6 either. I miss this feature 😕

In the Marketplace there is aplugin named MeshTools that adds the functionality (and some other tools).

Ok. Great news, or so I thought.. a relatively simple 3-part model I have, that Cura 14.09 could split and auto-rearrange to fit on the bed, fails with the plugin in 3.6.0 😕

I have attached the STL in question and screenshots from 14.09 before and after split + screenshots from 3.6.0 before and after split.

The difference being here, that in 14.09, it splits and slices just fine - in 3.6, the file _is_ split, but for some reason all the parts are now so big that they don't fit on the bed and can't be sliced.. (yes, I have tried re-arranging the parts too). It could seem like the light grey boxes around the parts seem to be the required cleareance around the printhead, but it's also way too big compared to the settings in machine settings? (these are the same for 14.09 and 3.6.0)

The build height has been reduced as well, which is a little odd.. 

zhenglike_gears3x6.stl

01_14_09_original_model.PNG

02_14_09_after_split.PNG

03_3_6_original_model.PNG

04_3_6_after_split.PNG

05_3_6_after_split_no_slice.PNG

Try turning off one-at-a-time slicing.

I tried turning off one-at-a-time too as a part of my debugging, but since I wanted to split the parts, so that I could print them one at a timein the first place, I didn't include this step. Yes, I can slice if I disable one-at-a-time printing, but that defeats the purpose... enabling one-at-a-time printing after splitting the parts, makes the grey area around the parts big again, rendering it non-sliceable.. 

The surrounding grey margins are added so that the printhead won't collide with prints already on the buildplate. In the first 15.04 screenshot you can just about see that it adds a similar margin, though it is smaller (and much less visible). This could be caused by a bug in the printer definition (which defines the size of the head), or a bug in Cura (which uses the defined head to calculate the safe margin).

You did not mention what printer you use.

23 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

The surrounding grey margins are added so that the printhead won't collide with prints already on the buildplate. In the first 15.04 screenshot you can just about see that it adds a similar margin, though it is smaller (and much less visible). This could be caused by a bug in the printer definition (which defines the size of the head), or a bug in Cura (which uses the defined head to calculate the safe margin).

You did not mention what printer you use.

Ultimaker Original. 

I did, however mention, that the machine settings are the same for both 14.09 and 3.6.0 . to clarify, here are the machine settings from 14.09 and 3.6.0 attached.

In 14.09, when I click on one of the parts, after splitting the model, the grey box surrounding the parts have different shapes, depending on which of the parts I click on. The smallest gear (placed at the back of the build plate) has a square around it, and a triangle 'sort of attached' that overlaps the middle gear (it's hard to describe, but it looks like the triangle part isn't exaxtly 'right').

The middle gear has a square around it, where one corner is rounded off, and the the last part (the rectangular piece) has a rectangle around it. 

Prints fine 'one at time' though.. 

So weird.. 

05_machine_settings_14_09.PNG

06_machine_settings_3_6_0.PNG

Could you try with Cura 4 beta 1?

I just tried with what will become Cura 4 beta 2, and at least there it seems to be fixed.

Cura 4 Beta1 installed. Looks very polished.. can't install the mesh tools from the marketplace (can't locate it in the market place), so I can't verify if it works or not... 

Success! Thank you! :)I haven't tried priting the resulting gcode, but the preview looks nice and the grey boxes around the objects have much more sensible sizes now, so everything fits on the build plate.

Cheers!

/rené

Remember that these are beta builds of the plugins; please install the version from Marketplace instead once it is available (when Cura 4 beta 2 launches)