Lost set screw: Olssen Block

Posted · Lost set screw: Olssen Block

The version invented by Anders Olsson (he made the first 20 or so at his place of work), then produced by 3dsolex for a while (they made the next thousand or so), and then produced by Ultimaker - all of those versions I believe have the same size screw which is a metric 3mm screw also known as a M3.  This screw is the same threading as every screw (99% of the screws) on the printer.

The head of the screw is countersunk whereas all the other screws on the UM2 are "button head".  3dsolex also includes a little M3 star lock washer that kind of bites into the heater and temp sensor when you tighten it.  I don't remember if UM includes the washer.  Probably they do.

Because of how the wiring is bent and where pressure is applied, you can probably get away without the screw.  Once the head is screwed together with the 4 long screws I think you'll find the heater and sensor are pretty securely inside the olsson block.

Ultimaker-blocks also has the toothed washer but they use another type with improved design compared to the ones used on the initial (and 3DSolex) blocks.

It looks roughly like this:
    5a7f41429fd20_Newwasher.jpg.fdd37d149163d21a86c8741cf15b4b8e.jpg

You need some sort of toothed washer there for the sensor/heater to stay safely in place!

The screw is a stainless countersunk M3x16 mm.

Ultimaker/3DSolex uses a Philips drive, but I actually prefer to use a hex head screw I used on the initial batch.

It is most certainly something you can buy at least online (say mcmaster.com).  Not sure about local hardware store.  Either shape (flat or flanged) will work good enough.

23 hours ago, Campbell39701 said:

Thanks for the tip about the washer. Sounds like that (washer in image) was a custom job by Ultimaker, or is this something to be picked up at a local hardware store?

I don't know where they get it from, but most toothed washers should do the job in your case. Just check that the sensor/heater are properly fixed after tightening the screw.

Things are a bit different when you mass produce machines, extra safety margins are always helpful there.