Cannot Enable Material

pauledd

Posted (edited) · Cannot Enable Material

Hi

I just updated Cura to 3.2.0 and found a premade Anycubic i3 Mega printer profile.

If I select that I cannot anymore enable a material, the option is greyed out.

I already read that changing the printers settings from Marlin to Reprap should solve that

but it doesnt.

Any Ideas anyone?

Edited by pauledd

Posted · Cannot Enable Material

Being able to select materials is a relatively new feature and very difficult to implement.  It sets things like bed and nozzle temperature.  You are just going to have to set bed and nozzle temperature yourself manually.  Every printer is different so a 200C nozzle temp for PLA is great for an Ultimaker with a 0.4mm nozzle but change the nozzle or the printer or the layer height and now you probably need to change the temperature anyway.  For example Ultimaker came up with about 60 files for just the UM3 and the 0.4mm nozzle.  It's a lot of work to create these profiles and they aren't going to create them for other printers but maybe the "anycubic" people can create profiles?  

They're not really that useful though -- I mean you aren't missing much.  Just go to the website of the company that makes the material and they will have a recommended print temperature. Start with that.

I've got the same issue: I've been using the 'Prusa I3 Mk2' config for printing to the Anycubic and the material weight/length/cost is extremely useful.  Switching to the Anycubic I lose all but the length.  The only reason to swithc to the new Anycubic profile would be to see if it handles stringing/rtestraction any better.  The original Cura 15 that came with the printer seemed to handle it a lot better.  I've seen comment about the switch to Cura 2.0 changing retraction to a different form (firmware) that the Anycubic doesn't support as well so wonder if that was the case 

You don't have to use the Anycubic preset. If you add the printer as a "Custom FDM Printer" and set the values in Machine Settings to match the Anycibic profile, you get material selection and everything that comes with it.

Having the same issues. Am using a MAKEiT Pro-M, which has a built-in profile, and am not able to activate any materials, custom or not. I recall this option being available for my Makergear M2, which I set up a few months ago. Would I have to set to "Custom FDM Printer" to be able to activate my custom material profiles?