Cura won't launch in Ubuntu

cheapo

Posted · Cura won't launch in Ubuntu

Got my first 3D printer in December. Tevo Tarantula. It works I guess, and I'd like to connect it to my PC, but can't get Cura to launch on my Ubuntu system. The latest version wouldn't download because it's an AppImage and is not recognized, so I have version 2:2.3.1 at the moment. But, as mentioned, it won't start. :|

Any advice is hereby thanked in advance. :)

I am on 3.1.0 on ubuntu and it works for me.  You have to set the execution bit.  Did you do that?  In terminal window:

chmod 774 Cura-3.2.0.AppImage 
    ./Cura-3.2.0.AppImage

Thanx for helping GR, still no go. I deleted all Cura downloads and removed it from Synaptic, but after downloading and saving version 3.2. 64 bit to a file, the terminal still says No such file or directory

On 14.2.2018 at 12:52 AM, cheapo said:

But, as mentioned, it won't start.

Can you tell us more about your Ubuntu installation?

If you are interested in a lightweight solution, which is updating Cura, which comes with Ubuntu 18.04, then you can use my PPA for it.

Stable packages are only available for Ubuntu 18.04 (bionic), because there is still a bug, which sounds like the crash you get.

On Ubuntu bionic this is gone.

5 hours ago, thopiekar said:

Can you tell us more about your Ubuntu installation?

If you are interested in a lightweight solution, which is updating Cura, which comes with Ubuntu 18.04, then you can use my PPA for it.

Stable packages are only available for Ubuntu 18.04 (bionic), because there is still a bug, which sounds like the crash you get.

On Ubuntu bionic this is gone.

That sounds interesting. I'm always willing to upgrade, so I'll try 18.04 right this minute! (even though it's quarter past one in the morning!) *| But what's a PPA ?

Posted (edited) · Cura won't launch in Ubuntu

On Ubuntu, you have like on many other Linux distributions a software package manager. By default, it is using only as a source packages from Ubuntu. But you can also expand the list of package sources with third party sources.

A personal package archive, in short PPA, is something that you can have at launchpad.net, which is a website by Canonical (Ubuntu). So if your like you can either distribute your software in form of packages there or upload packages for eg. upgrades or because the software has not been packaged so far.

Years before it was just the case that there were no packages for Cura in Ubuntu, so I began to create these packages.

I can send you later a link to an instruction in form of a summary how to configure the PPA. Currently, Ubuntu 18.04 comes with Cura 3.1, but like often, it won't get upgraded until the next Ubuntu release. Therefore you would have to wait half of a year for a next Cura release. In my PPA I can decide on my own when to release new packages.

PS: There is the step by step guide.

https://thopiekar.eu/cura/ppa/installation/

Edited by thopiekar

On 2/14/2018 at 3:08 PM, cheapo said:

the terminal still says No such file or directory

Okay - well that sounds like you don't know linux.  Hmm.  I could recommend you take a 30 minutes course on linux, folder structures, file manipulation.  Hmm....

Well when you start the terminal you have to navigate to the folder where you downloaded to.  Type "pwd" to see where you are.  Type "cd " followed by a folder name to move down into that folder and then pwd to see where you are now.  Type "ls" to list what files and folders are in your curent working directory (pwd = print current working directory).  Navigate to where cura is.  Most likely that is with "cd Downloads".  It's case sensitive so "downloads" won't work.  At some point you can type "ls" and you can see Cura is in there.  Note that if you type the first few letters of a filename you can hit the tab key and it will auto fill the rest of the file name.  "cd ~" brings you back to your primary folder.  "cd .." moves you up to the parent folder.

This interface may seem horrible to you but it beats the mouse 100X faster if you use it a lot.

Once you've located cura with "ls" and you are in the right folder THEN do the commands I showed above but just start with "Cur" and hit tab to let the rest autofill.  Same with the "./" command.

On 14.2.2018 at 3:41 AM, gr5 said:

chmod 774 Cura-3.2.0.AppImage

Hmm, the only thing that is missing is that the file is not executable. Isn't "chmod ug+x Cura-3.2.0.AppImage" not the precise description of what you want?

6 hours ago, gr5 said:

Okay - well that sounds like you don't know linux.

True, seems like he is mixing up Debian packages with AppImages. *|

7 hours ago, thopiekar said:

Isn't "chmod ug+x Cura-3.2.0.AppImage" not the precise description of what you want?

That works also, yes although I guess we didn't need to add execution to group as well.

Thanx for all your help guys. I'm now running Ubuntu 18.04 and Cura too. :+1::sunglass:

• Like 1