Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
chasebh89

Anet A8 filament not hardening on small pillars

I've noticed lately that when making small prints any kind of pillar below 7mm in diameter the filament will not hardening completely and it will just come out a big blobby mess. I'm using PLA filament at 200*c, I have tried 190*c but the same thing happens. Do I need to lower the rate of extrusion or is there a way to increase fan speed. 

Still new to the 3d printing world so go easy on me

20180215_094545.thumb.jpg.5fde952129006b3078e03f7b087c0a99.jpg

Hi,

did this happen only lately or was it always like this with small pillars?

I have no experience with Anet printers, but maybe the cooling is not optimal. One small trick is to print two of these objects at the same time so the layers on the small pillar have time to cool off. Or print just your regular object and add a small dummy object - just so the print head moves to another spot and gives your main object time to cool.

@nicolinux it has always been this way but it hasn't bothered me until now when I'm trying to produce high quality models

@geert_2 that's a great idea. However even with the dummy block there is still some deformation, and since I am trying to make gears and mechanical objects I need the print to be as perfect as possible. I do have the upgraded circular blower guide so there is plenty of cooling. I will have to experiment more when I get home.

Keep you posted later

*Edit* yes I know I need to reduce the massive amount of vibration (in the Y axis) which is kind of what the tiny prints are for 

Edited by chasebh89