NFC chip but still identical and rough profiles?

Dragon2781

Posted · NFC chip but still identical and rough profiles?

Hi,

When buying the UM3 I was excited for the NFC function.

I thought: 'Wow, I never had to make dozens of test prints to find the correct settings for the expensive UM-Filament.'

Right? Ultimaker knows their Filament and their Printers and will set the settings right on the spot to get P.E.R.F.E.C.T. results!

Wrong! Why do I have a fancy NFC chip functionality when I get the same settings for every UM-PLA Filament?

I have good results with the UM-PLA Green and White but e.g. Black is horrable with underextrusion (I think that's the cause of the problem).

I have massive stringing inside of the object with every UM-PLA and the infill is very holey at the defaut 70mm/s. I had to drop it to 30mm/s to get a propper infill.

What are your experiences? Is there something wrong with my UM3?

Nope. There are some differences between materials, but they are getting less and less as far as what i've seen. Originally we thought we would need to provide different (eg; color based) profiles, but the changes turned out to be so small that we never provided them (as it would put a pretty big burden on maintaining them).

I've printed a few things with the black, but i've not had any such issues. It could be that you just have a roll with some issues? We do sample based checks on the filament, but that ofc doesn't guarantee that they are good.

I've printed with about half the colors available with UM PLA, including black, and the only time I had problems was when the spools soaked up too much humidity. You learn by making mistakes. :p

Now I use dryboxes, I've not have any underextrusion problem with any color or any material.

Are you storing your spools in a dry place? Have you checked that there isn't something blocking the feeder, or in the bowden tube or even the printhead? There can be many reasons for underextrusions, but the standard profiles are, in my experience, unlikely to be one of them.

Posted (edited) · NFC chip but still identical and rough profiles?
    44 minutes ago, Brulti said:

I've printed with about half the colors available with UM PLA, including black, and the only time I had problems was when the spools soaked up too much humidity.

I wondering if my UM3 is broken or do you have other expectaisions than me.

This is my topic to identify issues and get help to remove them:

@nallath This are default settings and the results are horrible!

Edited by Dragon2781

No, i do not think we have different expectations based on your prints in the other thread. You are having issues with that material. As @nallath mentioned, it may very well be a bad spool. I have burned enough plastic to have differences in batches of materials.

Even now, as Cura has matured, I generally do not have to play with infill speeds or anything anymore to get a decent infill. This would be my typical result from Cura now:

Infill.thumb.jpg.f7db815d6cf3f53239e2b7f8d224ea16.jpg

@Dragon2781 I've recently a huge (12cm tall) dark vader head that serves as a pot for pencils and such. Printed it at 0.06mm, took about three days, it came out perfect, except for the first layer not sticking properly in part to the bed plate, should have used a brim and make sure that my plate was clean. I've printed it in PLA black, used up nearly all of what was left of my black filament. There was only a couple rolls of filament left on the spool, the Force was with us! ':D

As was said, you probably got a bad filament. If anotehr color behaves properly, get in touch with your reseller and ask for a refund or an exchange. UM keeps a close eye on their resellers, and quite a lot of them are on this forum anyway, I know mine has an account here. So, if the reseller refuses to change or refund, you can try going through UM directly. Nallath saw your problem already, and you can also tag Sandervg who is the forum's main moderator and would relay your problem to the relevant people.

• Like 1