Unable to slice because model doesn't fit build plate

IndustrialAS

Posted (edited) · Unable to slice because model doesn't fit build plate

Im trying to print an STL from SW the size is 209mm on 118 mm h:26mm

Using Ultimaker 3, and I cant get it to fit :/

Printer size should be 215*215mm

**i need it in this size and in one part!!!

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Maya

209mm.jpg

Edited by IndustrialAS
I am not getting answers :(

Posted · Unable to slice because model doesn't fit build plate

If the dimensions are not too important then just scale it down to fit; scale icon is in the icon strip on the left hand size. If you need to keep the dimensions then I would cut the model in half and glue it together once printed.

• 1 year later...

Having the same Issue.  I realize this is an old thread.

I have a Part that's 211.9 mm Round and Cura's ACTUAL allowable area seems to be LESS than 215.

This is very frustrating.

One would think Cura would compare the bounding box of the object the shaded area.... but that's not all of it.

1. 2nd Extruder is OFF.
    2. Adhesion is Off.

However, it is NOT helping, nor is Cura giving guidance as to why it won't fit.

Update:  Here's the screenshot that would have driven you all mad.

Both the OP and my own part visually FIT within the shaded area, using the Parts Z shadow and numerically, it has at least 1mm on all sides. Turns out the setting that fixes this SNAFU doesn't have any shading for it... thus no feedback.

Took way too long to find the "Maximum build volume" Manual page in Google searches, when it could have just been indicated some way in the GUI.

If Combing is on:  

Turn OFF:  Travel > Avoid printed parts.

Anyway that's the answer.

I'm not sure when combing > All  became a thing... but I'm not convinced it's helping more than hurting. Will turn it off to avoid dragging dripping extruders over clean walls.

Image 009.png

Edited by SefPinneyStudio
    Posting found Solution.
    • Like 2

Your screenshot shows that the build plate has a thick shaded region near the right edge. I think these shaded regions are "forbidden" regions, where the object should not touch. This results from certain parameters in Cura, from the 2nd extruder (if enabled), and maybe other conditions I'm not aware of.

But in your case, the front and back edges have almost no shaded regions. Maybe if you try to rotate the object 90 degrees (long side parallel to the Y-axis) it will fit. Also, try to turn off "Adhesion", by removing any brims, or even skirts, that may be counted as wasted space by Cura.

Edited by DrCeeVee
    Improved explanation accuracy.

Hi

On the UM3 each extruder has it's own "happy space". If both are enabled, you get the union of those two spaces. As mentioned in other threads things like "keep away" settings and brim widths impact just how much area you can use. 

In some cases Cura is a bit stupid about placing parts. You have to go in and manually move the part a bit to get it to fit. Without the actual model to play with it's hard to know just what issues you are bumping into.

Bob

Some good answers here, I would echo them: ensure the model is outside of the dark grey spaces at the perimeter of the build plate, and check whether adhesion is enabled, as this will take up extra area. Consider rotating the object 90degrees about the center of the xy plane if possible.

I figured it out. But it’s none of the solutions listed above. The only way to enable maximum build area is to turn off Travel > Avoid printed parts.  A search for maximum build volume was my turned this up. 

(+ no Adhesion or 2nd extruded, obviously)

even if the second extruder is disabled, Cura still attempts to avoid it crossing over the single extruder area.