3.2.1 crashes using 3.1 configuration files

DrOldies

Posted · 3.2.1 crashes using 3.1 configuration files

Cura 3.2.1 crashes on installation whether I remove 3.1 or not. Selecting the 3.2.1 install notice to clear & restart gives a successful install but all config and profile files are erased. If I move my backup config files back to the their appdata folder, 3.2 crashed on startup. I removed 3.2 and did a clean install (new config files). Copying over just my profiles crashes 3.2. This may be because I did not copy the right group of files. Cura 3.2.0 also had these problems. The only non-standard setup in my Cura environment is that I have disabled "Materials" and use different Profiles for each material.  

The error log with several install and start attempts is attached.

stderr.log

windows 10

current working version: Cura 3.1

updating to Cura 3.2.1

"Materials" configuration disabled

Machine other\Prussa i3 (ANET A8)

I changed a config flag so that the material field is not displayed. I enter changes between filaments in the profile and name the profile to identify the filament settings with the other settings changes. For example: "INLAND PLA Blue 0.2/60" I have never found an explanation of how the material configuration works with the profile configuration. Which takes precedence over the other in the applied settings? I doubt this is causing the error, but just wanted to point this out.

Posted (edited) · 3.2.1 crashes using 3.1 configuration files

The same to me.

In result of the crash I lost every of my Cura settings. With a backup, I was able to somehow restore the version 3.1.

But I did not know where all my Settings are.

Please could anybody explain me, where on a Windows PC all the Settings are? I mean for my Printer itself, Material, the printersettings.

I was a little bit desperated.

With 3.2.1 i could not add Octoprint as a Printer - but why?

Edited by heinzel

To find the settings open cura. Under help select Show Configuration Folder. When you select this it will display the path and files.

Attached are

1. current 3.1 folder

2. the 3.2 zip file I found after selecting the clear option during install.

3. I added .log for uploading

cura 31 definitions.zip.log

3.2_20180223_143240.zip.log

For the lost settings, find the settings path as above:

To find the settings open cura. Under help select Show Configuration Folder. When you select this it will display the path and files.

Go there with explorer. I found a zip file created by cura 3.2 with my 3.1 settings. It was named 3.2_23536 or similar.

Unzip into the settings path. 

Thank you. I will see, what I can do here to save as first many settings. In addition I will try to update to 3.2.1

I run always in trouble. So I looked closer to the errordiscription.

Voila: One little german Umlaut ( an ü) in one of the Materia Settings was the Problem. I changed them to an o , restarted and cura 3.2.1 started without any problems.

No I am going to test the software itself - if everything is working.

Good find! Is this character in settings file or in the code? If you tell me which file I can also do some testing.

It was a setting file in the <configuration folder>/quality/

There I used Materialnames with german Umlaut. So the Filename used asciicoding:

makerbotreplicator_fdmextruder_gal_copperfill%2Bf%25C3%25BCr%2B0.6.inst.cfg

No Unicode? This is odd.

But the problem was the content of the value for "name=". It should call "für". But it was like the picture show.

2018-03-15 19_13_22-makerbotreplicator_fdmextruder_gal_copperfill%2Bf%25C3%25BCr%2B0.6.inst.cfg - Vi.png

heinzel - I looked for the makerbotre....insr.cfg and I do not have that file in Cura 3.1 or 3.2. However, 3.2 crashes only with I copy my inst.cfg files into the 3.2 quality folder. I checked each file and found 2 files of 1k in length fulled with NULs. After deleting these 3.2 now loads properly. I looked through by system backup and found the 2 corrupted files as far back as last December. 3.1 apparently ignored them. 

I looking forward to trying the new features in 3.2