JennL

Printing with wood filament

Posted · Printing with wood filament

Hey all,

Has anyone used the U3 with wood filament? Specifically i'm looking to buy this filament. Anyone care to share their experience/have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Good morning.  I just finished a job with Colorfabb Woodfill on my UM3.  I ran it with a hardcore 0.6, results were better than expected, good adhesion, excellent surface finish, sanded to smooth and accepted stain without any unexpected blotches.

Now, my prints were simple, no overhangs.  But so far, so good.

John

I have not used that brand before, but i have printed wood filament all be it not on a Ultimaker (My first Ultimaker should come on Sat) and only thing i would say is some makes can really sick good to glass so might be something to watch out with.

I want to revive this thread, as I have a similar situation.

I have a S5. Is there an official recommend material + print core?

My goal is to print wood filament while working with students.
We don't need super high details, similar to what is possible with touch PLA on a 0.4 core would be good. Importance is the robustness against clogging.

Who has experience and can share?

@ScienceDude you might find this thread of relevance.  I found woodfill slightly less prone to clogging than copperfill.

@SandervG has, I believe, made a relevant comment when discussing fibre enhanced filaments that may well apply to wood fill, and that is that a lot of retractions may contribute to clogging as the fibres or particles can realign crossways to the flow inside the nozzle at the orifice.  I just had a job fail with that exact scenario, the first indication was intermittent extruder stalling and then layer quality degraded.

I hope this is of some help..  Best of luck.

Cheers

John

Hi John!

So I guess I will try with the 0.6 and the 0.4 nozzle and see where I end up.

Thank you for your insights!