Polymaker Polybox?

cdrose

Posted (edited) · Polymaker Polybox?

It works nicely with 750g spools and keeps the filament dry. But you have to keep in mind it has additional tubing and therefore adds additional friction to the filament path. This means you may want/have to choose the filament path between Polybox and feeder in a clever way, adjust feeder pressure onto the filament and/or compensate the decreased filament flow.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer
  • Like 1

Posted · Polymaker Polybox?

I use my Polybox for PVA and Nylon. It works as advertised. If it is worth the hefty pricetag when you can build your own with a plastic box from any household goods store at a fraction of the costs.. well..  I am lazy ;-)

I have two of them. One for each printer. It will hold two spools. It can go above the 750g with no issues as I use 1kg spools a lot. It would also depend on whether you are using the box for one or two spools. Usually, I have a 750G spool and PVA spool side by side or a 1KG spool with a PVA spool side by side in each box. It has really, really extended the life of my PVA during printing.

But, keep @Dim3nsioneer's comments in mind. They are spot on. I had to overcome this and it took about a week of printing and playing to get it down pat. Otherwise you can get odd times of filament binding or just not feeding fully and creating gaps.

But, for me, it is worth it to work out as the long term benefits are nice.

And, I also have the print dry system. I use that to rejuvenate filaments. I also use the Printdry system to rejuvenate the desiccant packages. Although the Polybox comes with it's own reusable desiccant, I use the ones that change color so that I know when to change it out.

And I, like you, preferred to spend my money and time on printing as once you print, pay for the filament, get the supplies, put in the elbow grease, it came out to be about the same monetarily and no aggravation. I could keep on printing and designing.

I am just one of those 3D printing oddballs that do not have to build everything.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2018 at 1:54 PM, kmanstudios said:

I have two of them. One for each printer. It will hold two spools. It can go above the 750g with no issues as I use 1kg spools a lot. It would also depend on whether you are using the box for one or two spools. Usually, I have a 750G spool and PVA spool side by side or a 1KG spool with a PVA spool side by side in each box. It has really, really extended the life of my PVA during printing.

But, keep @Dim3nsioneer's comments in mind. They are spot on. I had to overcome this and it took about a week of printing and playing to get it down pat. Otherwise you can get odd times of filament binding or just not feeding fully and creating gaps.

But, for me, it is worth it to work out as the long term benefits are nice.

And, I also have the print dry system. I use that to rejuvenate filaments. I also use the Printdry system to rejuvenate the desiccant packages. Although the Polybox comes with it's own reusable desiccant, I use the ones that change color so that I know when to change it out.

And I, like you, preferred to spend my money and time on printing as once you print, pay for the filament, get the supplies, put in the elbow grease, it came out to be about the same monetarily and no aggravation. I could keep on printing and designing.

I am just one of those 3D printing oddballs that do not have to build everything.

Cool thanks, I will be buying one of these next! I recieved  two spools of 350g & 750g PVA with my printer which I bought second hand / used. Both spools are shot which I show and talked about here.

I have orderd one of these Food Dehydrators from Amazon which I've read is exactly the same as the PrintDry system. I will post my findings to see if it saves the two spools of PVA.

1 hour ago, cdrose said:

Cool thanks, I will be buying one of these next! I recieved  two spools of 350g & 750g PVA with my printer which I bought second hand / used. Both spools are shot which I show and talked about here.

I have orderd one of these Food Dehydrators from Amazon which I've read is exactly the same as the PrintDry system. I will post my findings to see if it saves the two spools of PVA.

Do a search for @rebekah_harper and in one of her posts, she really did something cool about converting a food dehydrator. She listed all the parts and files for download to make the conversion she designed.

It was quite cool. :)

I can't find @rebekah_harper post for the conversion ?

5 minutes ago, cdrose said:

I can't find @rebekah_harper post for the conversion ?

I am hoping Bex can see that she has been tagged and can post a link then. It was uber cool.

@rebekah_harper we need you!!

I found it :) I had to look for "Food Dehydrator." It really is a nice system she designed.

Here is the thread.

hiya all,

glad the food dehydrator is of interest :)

Yea had my food dehydrator running on my used PVA spools I received from someone online. They were completely saturated on arrival as you can see from my other thread.

I've had them both in for around 16 hours at 55°C on and off and they look like they are improving slowly. Haven't tested them yet. They are no where near as close as my fresh spool of PVA though.

@cdrose Glad to hear that it is helping you.  did you modify the case like mine or just using it to dry the spool. 

you might get away with higher temp. I have had it at 70 to dry mine out but if I print as I dry I tend to have it at 55 too. 

Bex

Ahhhh, Bex, glad you found this!! I try to make sure that people see your mods to the food dehydrator as much as possible :)

much appreciated.  it works really well and a lot cheaper lol.

Posted (edited) · Polymaker Polybox?
    2 hours ago, rebekah_harper said:

@cdrose Glad to hear that it is helping you.  did you modify the case like mine or just using it to dry the spool. 

you might get away with higher temp. I have had it at 70 to dry mine out but if I print as I dry I tend to have it at 55 too. 

Bex

At the moment I use it just to dry the PVA, I plan on buying the Polymaker Polybox but going to look into your idea.

I did push it up to 60°C and it went really floppy so was a bit worried it would start to bond together if higher.

Edited by cdrose

fair one. the poly box has no heating though. unless they changed it recently

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rebekah_harper said:

I'll give it a go at drying at 70°C though and see how I go. Yea I know that's fine though as it's all sealed with desiccant. I haven't got much space either ?

• Like 2

hlo every one how are you

On 3/20/2018 at 6:42 PM, rebekah_harper said:

This is correct. It is not designed to dry out already humidified materials, just prevent humidity. A basic drybox.

7 hours ago, jackymltd said:

hlo every one how are you

Hello :)