Save Pangolins Print Fused =(

Nalith

Posted · Save Pangolins Print Fused =(

Hi

I am trying to print the Save Pangolin on my UM3 Extended however for some reason my whole print (https://www.thingiverse.com/download:3285381) fused up and the hinges would not budge no matter what I tried. 

I used the following settings:

• Layer Height: 0.2
  • Wall Thickness 1mm
  • Infill: 20%
  • Flow: 100%
  • Support: None
  • Build Plate Adhesion: None
  • Material: Pearl-White PLA
  • Core: 0.4mm AA

I have printed a test cube and measure it with a caliper, there were no discrepancies. Any suggestion to why this might be happening? I see multiple people on Thingaverse had successful prints using similar settings. 

The print eventually snapped when I trued to get the joints to move.

Ant help would be gratefully appreciated. 

Thanks

new-pangolin_body-all (1).stl

I had no trouble printing a pangolin - that same one.  It was a big hit.  Search for "horizontal" in the search box just above the profile settings and chance "horizontal expansion" to -0.1 or even -0.2.  .1 is probably enough.

This will pull inwards all the layers such that they are less likely to touch.  This will probably solve your issues.

Alternatively print cooler (190C?) and slower (try 30mm/sec for ALL speeds).  I think the horizontal expansion will do it though.  Make sure to use a NEGATIVE number so it will "contract" and not expand.

53 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I had no trouble printing a pangolin - that same one.  It was a big hit.  Search for "horizontal" in the search box just above the profile settings and chance "horizontal expansion" to -0.1 or even -0.2.  .1 is probably enough.

This will pull inwards all the layers such that they are less likely to touch.  This will probably solve your issues.

Alternatively print cooler (190C?) and slower (try 30mm/sec for ALL speeds).  I think the horizontal expansion will do it though.  Make sure to use a NEGATIVE number so it will "contract" and not expand.

Great thanks, will give that a try and see if it makes a difference. If you don't mind me asking, what filament did you use?

It was a year ago (march 2017) so I don't remember well but I think I did have to "crack" it a bit or something.  I seem to remember the joints bent but not as far as expected and I had to force it quite a bit so that the pangolin could curl up.  I might have even done some filing but I don't think so.  Not for the joints I don't think.  

It had some support under the mouth and I had to break that off and file it down smooth.  Other than that I printed with no support.

8 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I used Ultimaker dutch orange.  PLA.

2 minutes ago, gr5 said:

2017-03-12 10.38.49.jpg

Great thanks. Will let you know how it goes. Expecting a similar reaction from our dog :p

Tried printing it with a "Horizontal Expansion of "-0.1mm" and it still came out fused, only managed to get two joints to move. Quite frustrated as it takes almost 14 hours to print every time and uses quite a bit of filament. It was printed however at 205c as this is the default temp for the Ultimaker PLA.

Has anyone tried to print this little guy with a woodfill or copperfill?  Wondering how that might go....

Cheers

John

Exactly the same issue as op. Same printer, same settings.

Printed a second time with -0.2mm horizontal expansion, still have the same problem.

Printing with Ultimaker PLA Blue.

Anyone able to help?

39 minutes ago, MI2018 said:

Exactly the same issue as op. Same printer, same settings.

Printed a second time with -0.2mm horizontal expansion, still have the same problem.

Printing with Ultimaker PLA Blue.

Anyone able to help?

Human error ? applied horizontal expansion modifier to the wrong extruder. Just printing again with -0.1mm horizontal expansion and first layer is looking better this time. Fingers crossed! ?

I'm just spitballing here but you could try turning down the "Initial Layer Line Width" underneath "Quality" in Cura.

If it's only the bottom layer that's fused then you can use an exacto knife (a razor) and clean it up.

I usually do initial-horizontal-expansion at -0.25.  normally.  With a 0.4mm nozzle.

I had a successful print using a -0.2 horizontal expansion.  Ultimaker 3 extended, white PLA, layer height 0.2, no supports, no adhesion layer, scaled at 100%. Came out very nicely articulated with no fusing. Maybe a little too floppy, but the sections hold together well.  The legs were loose fitting to the body, but a little heat gunning and squeezing fixed that.  Great little model.