Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Nalith

Save Pangolins Print Fused =(

Recommended Posts

Hi

 

I am trying to print the Save Pangolin on my UM3 Extended however for some reason my whole print (https://www.thingiverse.com/download:3285381) fused up and the hinges would not budge no matter what I tried. 

 

I used the following settings:

  • Layer Height: 0.2
  • Wall Thickness 1mm
  • Infill: 20%
  • Flow: 100%
  • Support: None
  • Build Plate Adhesion: None
  • Material: Pearl-White PLA
  • Core: 0.4mm AA

 

I have printed a test cube and measure it with a caliper, there were no discrepancies. Any suggestion to why this might be happening? I see multiple people on Thingaverse had successful prints using similar settings. 

 

The print eventually snapped when I trued to get the joints to move.

 

Ant help would be gratefully appreciated. 

 

Thanks

 

new-pangolin_body-all (1).stl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no trouble printing a pangolin - that same one.  It was a big hit.  Search for "horizontal" in the search box just above the profile settings and chance "horizontal expansion" to -0.1 or even -0.2.  .1 is probably enough.

 

This will pull inwards all the layers such that they are less likely to touch.  This will probably solve your issues.

 

Alternatively print cooler (190C?) and slower (try 30mm/sec for ALL speeds).  I think the horizontal expansion will do it though.  Make sure to use a NEGATIVE number so it will "contract" and not expand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I had no trouble printing a pangolin - that same one.  It was a big hit.  Search for "horizontal" in the search box just above the profile settings and chance "horizontal expansion" to -0.1 or even -0.2.  .1 is probably enough.

 

This will pull inwards all the layers such that they are less likely to touch.  This will probably solve your issues.

 

Alternatively print cooler (190C?) and slower (try 30mm/sec for ALL speeds).  I think the horizontal expansion will do it though.  Make sure to use a NEGATIVE number so it will "contract" and not expand.

Great thanks, will give that a try and see if it makes a difference. If you don't mind me asking, what filament did you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a year ago (march 2017) so I don't remember well but I think I did have to "crack" it a bit or something.  I seem to remember the joints bent but not as far as expected and I had to force it quite a bit so that the pangolin could curl up.  I might have even done some filing but I don't think so.  Not for the joints I don't think.  

 

It had some support under the mouth and I had to break that off and file it down smooth.  Other than that I printed with no support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried printing it with a "Horizontal Expansion of "-0.1mm" and it still came out fused, only managed to get two joints to move. Quite frustrated as it takes almost 14 hours to print every time and uses quite a bit of filament. It was printed however at 205c as this is the default temp for the Ultimaker PLA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly the same issue as op. Same printer, same settings.

 

Printed a second time with -0.2mm horizontal expansion, still have the same problem.

 

Printing with Ultimaker PLA Blue.

 

Anyone able to help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MI2018 said:

Exactly the same issue as op. Same printer, same settings.

 

Printed a second time with -0.2mm horizontal expansion, still have the same problem.

 

Printing with Ultimaker PLA Blue.

 

Anyone able to help?

Human error 😕 applied horizontal expansion modifier to the wrong extruder. Just printing again with -0.1mm horizontal expansion and first layer is looking better this time. Fingers crossed! 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's only the bottom layer that's fused then you can use an exacto knife (a razor) and clean it up.

I usually do initial-horizontal-expansion at -0.25.  normally.  With a 0.4mm nozzle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Print Core CC | Red for Ruby
      Q: For some users, abrasive materials may be a new subject matter. Can you explain what it is that makes a material abrasive when you are not sure which print core to use?
      A: Materials which are hard in a solid piece (like metals, ceramics and carbon fibers) will generally also wear down the nozzle. In general one should assume...
      • 1 reply
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!