Turining OFF shrink-wrap model volume ?!?

BDub

Posted · Turining OFF shrink-wrap model volume ?!?

Is there any way to turn off the shrink-wrapped model volume (gray outline)?

I want to nest parts to maximize build volume, but this "feature" is preventing it.  For example if you have two L-shaped walls you can't nest them yin/yang style because the volume runs diagonally from the end of each parts walls rendering that space unusable, or if you have a ring and you want to place a part on the inside to print as well.  I can see no reason this would not work. 

The work around is to nest the STLs files in another piece of software and re-export them as one model, but this is a pain in the butt as you may need to adjust the individual pieces to maximize packing.  Am I missing this feature, or does it not exist.  Searching the forum has turned up nothing.

Thanks.

BDub

You can also group objects. Objects that are in the same group are never pushed apart.

So;
    1. Select the two objects
    2. Right click; group objects (or ctrl+g)
    3. Use ctrl click to select a single object inside the group and move it to the position you want.

• Like 5

Posted (edited) · Turining OFF shrink-wrap model volume ?!?

Great!  Thanks for the replies.  Both of these suggestions sound helpful.

-B

Edited by BDub

Both tricks proved helpful. Peggy, that setting was exactly what I was looking for, and nallath, the grouping feature made handling a project with many small pieces much easier.

Thanks again to you both.

-B