Is anyone using Simplify3D for ABS on a UM2E?

CostumeBiz

Posted · Is anyone using Simplify3D for ABS on a UM2E?

Banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why S3D is not working correctly on my UM2E. I am trying to get help from S3D support but the amended profile they send me did not change much. I suspect S3D is pushing too much filament too much head pressure it has knocked out my Bowden tube on more that one occasion... Cura never has. I am posting an image of a XYZ cube test print from both slicers. Has anyone been successful in getting the S3d  print quality setting to work on a UM2 or 2E?

X_axis_comparison.jpg

• CostumeBiz changed the title to Is anyone using Simplify3D for ABS on a UM2E?

Well, that is odd. Usually the S3D people have the opposite results. And, yes there are gobs of them here who will help you.

And, wow....knocked out the bowden tube? That is another first. There will be people here who can help you, but if the free program does it well, why pay? I have both and prefer Cura since it is part of the UM ecosystem and made to work with those printers very well.

And...welcome to the forums where you will get tons of solid advice. :)

Well I bought S3D to run my CR10 S5 which it does a fantastic job... the prints so far are better than I am getting with Cura and my UM2E.

I hate the supports on Cura and the way it handles flat surfaces so I would like to slice my files with S3D for my UM2E.

Bryn

first question: S3D should have predefined printer profiles for the Ultimaker printers, have you choosen the right printer in S3D?

next  - check the process settings:, especially nozzle diameter, flow multiplier and material diameter(!)

Hi Tinkergnome,

Yes I am using the correct profile preset in S3D. I have even been working with Support at S3D to figure out why their profile prints so poorly on my machine. I remember seeing a S3D thread that talked about them changing the UM profiles to put more amperage to the feed motor, I believe this is the culprit.

Can anyone please help I dialed in the UM2E using a XYZ cube but then when I went to print this rib piece it came out crappy. I am using Simplify3D great news the supports came of nicely and the underside printed better than the Cura model but whats going on with the base and the tip????

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG