Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Recommended Posts

@neotko

 

just ist watched your video on cabling the Duet3D board in the UM2.

 

What firmware are you using? Marlin ported or another one?

You then use the Duet display with, not the UM2 built in anymore?

Cura works with it? What do you have to configure?

 

As my UM2 board on my 2nd printer is broken (see other post) I am thinking about how large the Duet3D mod is in comparison to repairing the UM2 board... ;-)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duet3D has their own reprap firmware. The main difference is that everything (steppers, voltage, pid, endstops, inveet motors, everything) is changed by just editing a gcode file. So you can reconfigure the whole machine settings with a copy paste reboot. All also done through wifi or ethernet. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the transistors of the 2.1.5 they are weak yeah, and also probably the board main power (black or blue square thing near the plug) isn’t capable of sustaining more than 10A (like um2 boards) and maybe that did help. Anyhow resoldering a new bc817 isn’t hard, but requires patience and minimum knowhow (and lots of kapton tape XD) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, neotko said:

About the transistors of the 2.1.5 they are weak yeah, and also probably the board main power (black or blue square thing near the plug) isn’t capable of sustaining more than 10A (like um2 boards) and maybe that did help. Anyhow resoldering a new bc817 isn’t hard, but requires patience and minimum knowhow (and lots of kapton tape XD) 

 

I have already changed the Atmega16u2 on another board and the buck converter on this one. I think they are harder to change, so the bc817 should be easy.

 

The black/blue box is a relay, afair it’s connected to the emergency switches that are shorted/jumpered/unused in the UM2. Good point actually that they are for 10A, hope they have a bit of tolerance as with my 360W power converter I need 15A ....

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, neotko said:

Duet3D has their own reprap firmware. The main difference is that everything (steppers, voltage, pid, endstops, inveet motors, everything) is changed by just editing a gcode file. So you can reconfigure the whole machine settings with a copy paste reboot. All also done through wifi or ethernet. 

 

So the front panel display/ wheel are unused after the mod? Do you need a different display then or just none?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, conny_g said:

 

So the front panel display/ wheel are unused after the mod? Do you need a different display then or just none?

 

The panel goes away indeed. You can buy a paneldue to do all, but I don’t have it. I control them opening the IP address of each machine on the mac or the phone and do baby stepping adjustments or launch prints, preheat, everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, neotko said:

You can buy a paneldue to do all, but I don’t have it.

 

That's not quite true, although I've just recently switched to Duet Wifi with my UM2 Dual.

 

But I expected more from a "PanelDue 7 inch screen", many settings are currently missing!


Or you so spoiled by the Duet web interface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zerspaner_gerd said:

 

That's not quite true, although I've just recently switched to Duet Wifi with my UM2 Dual.

 

But I expected more from a "PanelDue 7 inch screen", many settings are currently missing!


Or you so spoiled by the Duet web interface.

 

Well is open source, go code :p

 

Now for real, indeed I never used it so I assumed it has the same stuff as the web on mac/iphone. But I’m very happy with the web control to manage my 3 printers :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested too, I would like to replace my UM2's fried board with the duet.
What about coding via reprap code and cabling? I've read the documentation pages and it seems intuitive, but I'm a bit scared to get my hands on the electronics as my electrical background is pretty basic

Edited by MarcoUbtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5.4.2018 at 8:52 AM, neotko said:

Now for real, indeed I never used it so I assumed it has the same stuff as the web on mac/iphone. But I’m very happy with the web control to manage my 3 printers

 

That's what I thought, but it seems to me two completely separate systems. At the moment I only work on the tablet, and sometimes it reacts faster than the panel.

 

On 5.4.2018 at 9:59 AM, MarcoUbtz said:

I'm interested too, I would like to replace my UM2's fried board with the duet.
What about coding via reprap code and cabling? I've read the documentation pages and it seems intuitive, but I'm a bit scared to get my hands on the electronics as my electrical background is pretty basic

 

I've also did it, you just should not cause a short circuit and pay attention to the polarity.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Duet platform but the PanelDue just doesn't do as much as its competing legacy options does for other firmware.

Edited by JRDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much!
I've ordered the IR probe, but I have not come to, is also quite complex.

 

For the time being, I drive the build plate with my fine pointer (as before with the UM board) and the z-value (which is also the same as in the Tinker firmware) I enter in config.g at M208.

 

Links:

fine pointer Build plate depart

 

Edited by zerspaner_gerd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

  • Our picks

    • Architect Design Contest | Vehicles.
      We're open for entries! - Design and submit your 3D designs of architectural entourage - vehicles - for a chance to win a large filament pack. Presenting an idea, an architectural design or something as big as an urban project isn't easy. A scaled model can really help to get your idea across.
        • Like
      • 24 replies
    • What The DfAM?
      I'm Steve Cox, an experienced engineer familiar with 3D printing. I wanted to share some DfAM guidelines with this community to help and make stronger parts.
      I'm also an Autodesk Certified Instructor for Fusion 360, so many of the images in ...
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 23 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!