UM2 and Duet3D board

Posted · UM2 and Duet3D board

@neotko

just ist watched your video on cabling the Duet3D board in the UM2.

What firmware are you using? Marlin ported or another one?

You then use the Duet display with, not the UM2 built in anymore?

Cura works with it? What do you have to configure?

As my UM2 board on my 2nd printer is broken (see other post) I am thinking about how large the Duet3D mod is in comparison to repairing the UM2 board... ;-)

• Like 2

Duet3D has their own reprap firmware. The main difference is that everything (steppers, voltage, pid, endstops, inveet motors, everything) is changed by just editing a gcode file. So you can reconfigure the whole machine settings with a copy paste reboot. All also done through wifi or ethernet. 

• Like 2

About the transistors of the 2.1.5 they are weak yeah, and also probably the board main power (black or blue square thing near the plug) isn’t capable of sustaining more than 10A (like um2 boards) and maybe that did help. Anyhow resoldering a new bc817 isn’t hard, but requires patience and minimum knowhow (and lots of kapton tape XD) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, neotko said:

About the transistors of the 2.1.5 they are weak yeah, and also probably the board main power (black or blue square thing near the plug) isn’t capable of sustaining more than 10A (like um2 boards) and maybe that did help. Anyhow resoldering a new bc817 isn’t hard, but requires patience and minimum knowhow (and lots of kapton tape XD) 

I have already changed the Atmega16u2 on another board and the buck converter on this one. I think they are harder to change, so the bc817 should be easy.

The black/blue box is a relay, afair it’s connected to the emergency switches that are shorted/jumpered/unused in the UM2. Good point actually that they are for 10A, hope they have a bit of tolerance as with my 360W power converter I need 15A ....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, neotko said:

Duet3D has their own reprap firmware. The main difference is that everything (steppers, voltage, pid, endstops, inveet motors, everything) is changed by just editing a gcode file. So you can reconfigure the whole machine settings with a copy paste reboot. All also done through wifi or ethernet. 

So the front panel display/ wheel are unused after the mod? Do you need a different display then or just none?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, conny_g said:

So the front panel display/ wheel are unused after the mod? Do you need a different display then or just none?

The panel goes away indeed. You can buy a paneldue to do all, but I don’t have it. I control them opening the IP address of each machine on the mac or the phone and do baby stepping adjustments or launch prints, preheat, everything.

10 hours ago, neotko said:

You can buy a paneldue to do all, but I don’t have it.

That's not quite true, although I've just recently switched to Duet Wifi with my UM2 Dual.

But I expected more from a "PanelDue 7 inch screen", many settings are currently missing!

Or you so spoiled by the Duet web interface.

6 hours ago, zerspaner_gerd said:

That's not quite true, although I've just recently switched to Duet Wifi with my UM2 Dual.

But I expected more from a "PanelDue 7 inch screen", many settings are currently missing!

Or you so spoiled by the Duet web interface.

Well is open source, go code :p

Now for real, indeed I never used it so I assumed it has the same stuff as the web on mac/iphone. But I’m very happy with the web control to manage my 3 printers :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · UM2 and Duet3D board

I'm interested too, I would like to replace my UM2's fried board with the duet.
    What about coding via reprap code and cabling? I've read the documentation pages and it seems intuitive, but I'm a bit scared to get my hands on the electronics as my electrical background is pretty basic

Edited by MarcoUbtz

On 5.4.2018 at 8:52 AM, neotko said:

Now for real, indeed I never used it so I assumed it has the same stuff as the web on mac/iphone. But I’m very happy with the web control to manage my 3 printers

That's what I thought, but it seems to me two completely separate systems. At the moment I only work on the tablet, and sometimes it reacts faster than the panel.

On 5.4.2018 at 9:59 AM, MarcoUbtz said:

I'm interested too, I would like to replace my UM2's fried board with the duet.
    What about coding via reprap code and cabling? I've read the documentation pages and it seems intuitive, but I'm a bit scared to get my hands on the electronics as my electrical background is pretty basic

I've also did it, you just should not cause a short circuit and pay attention to the polarity.

• Like 1

I love the Duet platform but the PanelDue just doesn't do as much as its competing legacy options does for other firmware.

Edited by JRDM

What can you tell me about the buildplate calibration with the duet @zerspaner_gerd ?

Not much!
    I've ordered the IR probe, but I have not come to, is also quite complex.

For the time being, I drive the build plate with my fine pointer (as before with the UM board) and the z-value (which is also the same as in the Tinker firmware) I enter in config.g at M208.

Links:

fine pointer Build plate depart

Edited by zerspaner_gerd
    • Like 1

This has cought my interest, I understand that you get full control over your printer with g code and of course the web UI.

But what about print quality?

Does it really get even more quieter?

What else is there to gain with a switch to a Duet3D board?

1 hour ago, TMicke said:

This has cought my interest, I understand that you get full control over your printer with g code and of course the web UI.

Does it really get even more quieter?

What else is there to gain with a switch to a Duet3D board?

Its WAY more quiet

Prints better since doesn’t has the 16 moves/second bottleneck of the 16bit atmegas.

The wifi/net control works great, you can make macros to automate stuff as you want like I did to pause/atomic pull/swap color/resume 

• Thanks 1

Waow! And just a heads up, my wife will not like you ? (for making me want to buy more stuff)

If I wouldn't want to mess with my almost brand new UM2+, what printer would you recommend to use for an Duet3D board, and I'm thinking if there is a cheaper one than the UM2

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TMicke said:

Waow! And just a heads up, my wife will not like you ? (for making me want to buy more stuff)

If I wouldn't want to mess with my almost brand new UM2+, what printer would you recommend to use for an Duet3D board, and I'm thinking if there is a cheaper one than the UM2

Railcore II ( https://www.kraegar.com/railcoreii)

or

E3D Toolchanger ( https://e3d-online.com/blog/2018/08/20/e3d-tool-changer-and-motion-system-beta-30-incoming/ ).

Both machines demonstrate the power of the Duet controller platform.

I've been meaning to convert one of my UM2s to Duet Maestro.

Edited by JRDM
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JRDM said:

I've been meaning to convert one of my UM2s to Duet Maestro

Why Maestro instead of wifi or ethernet?

And thank you for the links to the railcore (is that right, is it called a railcore?) It looks very interesting. Do you have one, and can you tell me a little more about it then, and compared to a UM2.

It’s very satisfying and fun to build your own printer. My first one was a Velleman 8400 that came in pieces, bought it the day before christmas. Made me feel like a child again ?

5 hours ago, JRDM said:

Railcore II ( https://www.kraegar.com/railcoreii)

or

E3D Toolchanger ( https://e3d-online.com/blog/2018/08/20/e3d-tool-changer-and-motion-system-beta-30-incoming/ ).

Both machines demonstrate the power of the Duet controller platform.

I've been meaning to convert one of my UM2s to Duet Maestro.

I agree on this 100% duet3D give to that printers (that are open source and people work on features ACTIVELY) will give you more for your buck. Think that while UM gives profiles (their argument) and ‘tuned’ that’s only a reality for um3-umS that are the focus of UM now. UM hasn’t updated hardware or firmware for um2 in 3 years and much less their basic firmware (because they think isn’t needed and also they don’t make € from that). 

Railcore is a very interesting machine, with a really sturdy frame up to big speeds. And E3D multitool is a nice idea for dual/multitool stuff (but is more dependent on the user and less click/print).

If you want to learn and get your hands dirty go for any of this 2. You will get more printer (and better frame speeds and hardware) for almost the same or less €/$

Duet3D big advantages is that can grown and personally what I love is that rebuilding the firmware is as easy as editing a gcode/txt file and clicking the reset button. Also their boards have been tested by many for years now and they are rock solid. And last point, a new um2 board is around 250€ and you get atmega, old & noisy steppers. The only UM machine with silent chips is the UMS and well... that’s for other post ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TMicke said:

Why Maestro instead of wifi or ethernet?

And thank you for the links to the railcore (is that right, is it called a railcore?) It looks very interesting. Do you have one, and can you tell me a little more about it then, and compared to a UM2.

It’s very satisfying and fun to build your own printer. My first one was a Velleman 8400 that came in pieces, bought it the day before christmas. Made me feel like a child again ?

I have a Maestro to spare, it is still waiting for a machine to be put into. It's also less expensive. Unless you want WiFi connectivity, I don't think the full Duet2 board can do anything more for a UM2 than the Maestro could. I think Maestro might be a little quieter too, because it uses a newer generation of driver.

Yes, that first machine I linked is called a Railcore. I don't own one, I'm acquainted with the two guys that designed it. It looks like a pretty good design but I don't think I can describe it any better than the site can.

@neotko

Currently using the tinker firmware. How does that compare with the duet firmware?

And I use the magnetic tool changer dual mod, is that possible with the duet firmware and how do I implement it there, you mentioned macros?

On 11/6/2018 at 6:44 AM, TMicke said:

Visible difference

23404361_komplettDuetTL-SmootherUM.thumb.jpg.0749e63c2491fbbbe35709705997615b.jpg

Did not label anything on purpose!

For selection there are:

• UM board
    • UM board with TL-Smoother
    • Duet board
    On 11/7/2018 at 11:49 AM, conny_g said:

Currently using the tinker firmware. How does that compare with the duet firmware?

In my opinion not at all
    Is a RepRap firmware, no similarities with the Tinker firmware.

And I use the magnetic tool changer dual mod, is that possible with the duet firmware and how do I implement it there, you mentioned macros?

Is certainly possible, maybe small losses in the handling!

But also things that I like better as with the Tinker, for example, the G10 command I like. In it, the Drucktemp and the Standby Temp deffienieren and much more.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

For RepRap-Firmware nearly everything is configured with gcode scripts (without the need to re-compile the firmware).

That means, using it with the tool changer is a matter of: "edit the pre-defined tool change macros in a way that it works like you want ..."

For example: it has some "slots" to save (and restore) the current position and temperatures with a gcode command. This is used for the pause function, and can be useful for the tool changes as well.

A whole new playground, if you want so... ?

• Like 1